Mad Dog Knives
|Founded||Bear Valley Springs, CA
|Headquarters||Prescott Valley, Arizona|
Number of employees
Mad Dog Knives was a custom knifemaking facility headed by Kevin McClung, a former Senior Materials Scientist at the American Rocket Company, Mad Dog Knives is based in Prescott, Arizona. Mad Dog Knives made the fixed-blade knife known as the ATAK, used by Naval Special Warfare Groups 1 and 2 after the "SEAL Trials" of 1992. Mad Dog Knives are typically made from selectively tempered, hand ground O1 Tool Steel with a hardchrome plating to protect the blade.
Materials and design
Mad Dog Knives makes tactical fixed-blade knives, originally using Starrett 496-O1 high carbon tool steel and later switching to Precision Marshall Presco American Made 01, which is given a proprietary heat treatment. This process includes hardening, stress relieving, and selectively tempering the blade. As a result, the blades have an edge hardness of 62-63 on the Rockwell C scale whereas the tip, spine, and tang have a Rockwell hardness of 50-54. This heat treatment was devised to develop phenomenal edge retention while preventing tip breakage and maintaining a degree of flexibility on the softer spine to improve the toughness of the knife. The blades are coated with a layer of hard chrome as a method of abrasion and corrosion resistance.
Mad Dog Knives utilizes a proprietary glass/epoxy composite material for the handle material of its knives. This material can withstand long term heat in excess of 149 degrees Celsius (300 degrees Fahrenheit), a tractive force of 79,000 psi, current of 1,000 volts per mil (0.001") of thickness and is impervious to salt water, diesel oil, benzine and other caustic/corrosive fluids. Mad Dog Knives utilizes Kydex 100 ® as a sheath material. 
Mad Dog Knives won the 1992 "SEAL Trials" to supply Naval Special Warfare Groups 1 and 2 with a fixed blade knife. This knife is the ATAK (Advanced Tactical Assault Knife) and Mad Dog Knives received a U.S. Navy Sole Source Justification for its manufacture. The ATAK is the only knife in US Military history justified as such.
In the media
Mad Dog Knives have been described as weapons in Richard Marcinko's Rogue Warrior novels and were props in Steven Seagal's movie Under Siege 2: Dark Territory. One of the knives used in the movie was later sold at a Safari Club International fund raiser for $10,000.
- Hartink, A.E. (September 30, 2005). Complete Encyclopedia of Knives. Lisse, The Netherlands: Chartwell Books. p. 448. ISBN 978-1-85409-168-0.
- Rowe, Janice (1991)Mad Dog Knives. Fighting Knives Magazine, Spring 1991, pp. 38-41
- Dockery, Kevin (2004). Weapons of the Navy SEALs. New York: Berkley. ISBN 0-425-19834-0.
- McClung, Kevin (1991)Get A Grip. Fighting Knives Magazine, Summer 1991, pp. 18-19, 93-94
- Huntington, Roy (2000).Kevin McClung is a Mad Dog, American Handgunner Magazine, Volume 10, Issue 5
- Karwan, Chuck(1999)Mirage X Ceramic Blades. Tactical Knives Magazine, May 1999, pp. 66-71
- Dick, Stephen (1995), "Blades of the Combat Swimmers", Tactical Knives, vol. 1, no. 2, p. 68-73
- Marcinko, Richard (with John Weisman)(1995) Rogue Warrior: Green Team, ISBN 0-671-79959-2
- Zeman, Ned.(2002) Seagal Under Siege. Vanity Fair, October 2002: p. 236-250.
- Elite Military Knives