Mad Mad World
|Mad Mad World|
|Studio album by Tom Cochrane|
September 19, 1991 (Canada)
February 17, 1992 (U.S.)
|Producer||Tom Cochrane, Joe Hardy|
|Tom Cochrane chronology|
Mad Mad World is the second studio solo album by Canadian singer Tom Cochrane, originally released in 1991. The first single from the album, "Life Is a Highway", became a hit in late 1991, reaching #1 in Canada and #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.
The album earned Cochrane four Juno Awards including Album of the Year, Single of the Year, Male Vocalist of the Year, and Songwriter of the Year. In addition, Cochrane won two SOCAN Awards and an ASCAP Award. Mad Mad World achieved a Diamond sales award in Canada for selling more than 1 million copies in Cochrane's native Canada.
The album also included the hits "No Regrets" (#3 RPM Charts), "Sinking Like a Sunset" (#2 RPM Charts), "Washed Away" (#7 RPM Charts), "Bigger Man" and the title track "Mad Mad World". The album was produced by Joe Hardy and was recorded in Memphis, Tennessee and at three different Ontario studios: Metalworks Studios in Mississauga, Hungry Hollow Studio in Georgetown and at Cochrane's cabin in Oakville.
Upon the album’s initial releases in the U.S. and Canada, the album featured two different album covers. The original album cover (designed by Ralph Alfonso) was on the initial Canadian release in 1991, while the alternate album cover was on the U.S. release for the album in 1992. The alternate cover is now the main album cover for the album.
In October, 2016, Cochrane announced an expanded 25th anniversary edition of the album would be released October 28. Included in the expanded album would be Love is a Highway, the original version of the album's first single, and a second disc featuring a concert recorded May 14, 1992, on the Mad Mad World Tour in Chicago, IL.
All tracks written by Tom Cochrane unless otherwise noted.
|1.||"Life Is a Highway"||4:26|
|2.||"Mad Mad World"||4:56|
|4.||"Sinking Like a Sunset" (Annette Ducharme)||5:45|
|6.||"Everything Comes Around"||4:32|
|7.||"The Secret is to Know When to Stop" (Cochrane, John Cody)||4:19|
|8.||"Brave and Crazy"||5:51|
|11.||"Get Back Up"||4:39|
|13.||"All the King's Men"||4:33|
- Tom Cochrane - vocals, acoustic and electric guitars, piano, harmonica, percussion, bass, keyboards, slide guitar
- John Webster - percussion, piano, organ
- Spider Sinnaeve - bass
- Mickey Curry - drums
- Kim Mitchell - lead guitar on "Brave and Crazy"
- Mladen - guitar
- Keith Scott - guitar on "Sinking Like a Sunset"
- David Gogo - guitar
- Joe Hardy - percussion
- Dave Harding - viola
- Molly Johnson - backing vocals
- John Cody - backing vocals
- Annette Ducharme - backing vocals
- Kathy Cochrane - backing vocals
- Joe Hardy - producer (except "All the King's Men")
- Noel Golden - Engineer
- Joe Hardy - Production, Engineering, Mixing, Percussion
- Bob Shindle - Engineer
- John Bailey - Engineer
- Bob Ludwig - Mastering
- Great Southern Memphis Section - Horns, Horn Arrangements
- Peter Schenkman - Cello
- Allmusic review
- "Artist Chart History - Tom Cochrane". billboard.com. Retrieved 2008-11-20.
- "Gold Platinum Database: Tom Cochrane - Mad Mad World". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2011-12-21.