Mad River Township, Champaign County, Ohio
|Mad River Township, Champaign County, Ohio|
Countryside in Mad River Township, with Westville in view
Location of Mad River Township in Champaign County
|• Total||42.7 sq mi (110.7 km2)|
|• Land||42.6 sq mi (110.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.3 km2)|
|Elevation||1,125 ft (343 m)|
|• Density||66/sq mi (25.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085844|
Located in the southwestern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Concord Township - north
- Salem Township - northeast corner
- Urbana Township - east
- Moorefield Township, Clark County - southeast corner
- German Township, Clark County - south
- Pike Township, Clark County - southwest corner
- Jackson Township - west
- Johnson Township - northwest
Name and history
Mad River Township was organized in 1805.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Mad River township, Champaign County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved January 13, 2015.
- Middleton, Evan P. (1917). History of Champaign County, Ohio: Its People, Industries and Institutions, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen. p. 150.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.