|Administrative atoll||Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll|
|Distance to Malé||414.86 km (257.78 mi)|
|• Total||0.3380 km2 (0.1305 sq mi)|
|• Length||1.050 km (0.652 mi)|
|• Width||0.880 km (0.547 mi)|
|• Total||1,218 (including foreigners)|
|Time zone||UTC+05:00 (MST)|
Madaveli is the third largest populated island in the Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll.
While it is unclear as to when people started living in Madaveli, considering the similarity in the dialect spoken in the island Huvadhoo Bas as it is spoken in other islands of the Huvadhu Atoll, it is safe to assume that people started living here as early as civilization in the atoll can be traced. Many generations of people living in Madaveli claim inheritance from a number of other islands including Fuvahmulah. Royal ancestries can be found in the island, the most notable one being descendants of the Royal Household of Karayya Ganduvaru of Fuvahmulah who usually adopt the suffix "dhee dhee" after their name.
|2006-2014: Census populations|
- Madaveli Council President: Hameez Ahmed (Jumhooree Party candidate) http://madaveli.gov.mv/members/
- Madaveli Council Vice President: Azam Mohamed (Jumhooree Party candidate)
Fishing is the main source of income while few resorts and domestic airport nearby provides alternative source of income to the islanders.
There is one school in Madaveli. Madaveli School teaches from LKG to Grade 10 students.
Sports and recreation
Popular sports include football,bashi,volleyball and swimming.
Madaveli residents travel nearby islands by speed boat, launch and ferry. There is regular ferry (Baahaththari dhoani) from Madaveli to Thinadhoo within six days a week. Speed launches available at request from Madaveli to Thinadhoo or within the atoll. There is regular MTCC ferry within
Kaadedhdhoo Airport is situated on a nearby island.
- "Table PP5: Resident Population by sex, nationality and locality (administrative islands), 2014" (PDF). Population and Households Census 2014. National Bureau of Statistics. p. 36. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Coordinate Distance Calculator". Boulter.com. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
- "Table 3.3: Total Maldivian Population by Islands" (PDF). National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 14 August 2018.
|This Maldives location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|