|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2009)|
|Born||October 9, 1960
Long Island, New York, United States
|Died||December 13, 2008
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
|Cause of death||Acute stomach failure|
|Other names||Madeleine Joan Blaustein, Addie Blaustein, Kendra Bancroft, Adam Blaustein, Jeremy Welch|
Madeleine Joan "Maddie" Blaustein (formerly credited as Addie Blaustein; October 9, 1960 – December 13, 2008) was an American voice actress. She was known for her voice-actor work for 4Kids Entertainment, DuArt Film and Video and NYAV Post.
Blaustein was born the second-oldest of 5 children in Long Island, New York. She was born intersex and was assigned male at birth. She lived as male for many years before transitioning to female. Her experience as an activist in the transgender community helped her to organize and support groups of people in Second Life.
Until her death she was a voice actor at 4kids Entertainment who was known for voicing Sartorius in Yu-Gi-Oh! GX. She was also best known as the voices of Meowth in Pokémon (Episodes 29-Season 8) and Solomon Muto (Sugoroku Mutou) from Yu-Gi-Oh! second series anime. She was also Chef Kawasaki from Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Doctor Kureha in One Piece, and Arngrim, Lawfer, and Lezard in Valkyrie Profile and she was also the third English-speaking voice actor for E-123 Omega of the Sonic the Hedgehog series. She was also a comic book writer and artist, having worked for both Marvel Comics and Milestone Comics, and an animation director. Later she served as Creative Director for the Weekly World News. Video-game localization coordinator and translator Jeremy Blaustein is her brother.
She is notable for her great variety of voices. Like in Valkyrie Profile, for example, she was able to perform a very "tough", deep masculine voice (Arngrim), as well as a high-class one (Lawfer) and a suitable and somewhat androgynous voice of a mad scientist/sorcerer (Lezard Valeth). During the 2004 Democratic Party primaries, she appeared as Sméagol on the Mike Malloy Show, announcing a satirical presidential bid.
Under the pseudonym “Kendra Bancroft”, Blaustein was one of the content creators in the Second Life platform, where she was a very eager participant since 2004, and earned a reputation as an innovative, competent, and very reliable 3-D modeller in the many communities where she participated.
- Cubix – Dr. K, The Mayor
- Cutie Honey (live action movie) – Sister Jill
- Dinosaur King – Helga (Season 1)
- Domain of Murder – Detective Shimizu
- Huntik: Secrets & Seekers – Rassimov
- Impy's Island – Shoe the Shoebill
- Impy's Wonderland – Shoe the Shoebill
- Kirby: Right Back At Ya! – Chef Kawasaki, Waddle Doo
- Pokémon – Meowth (after Matthew Sussman credited as Nathan Price), Corphish, Torkoal and Farfetch'd (Seasons 1–8), Lieutenant Surge, Damian, additional voices
- Pokémon Chronicles – Meowth
- Pokémon: The First Movie – Meowth
- Pokémon: The Movie 2000 – Meowth
- Pokémon 3: The Movie – Meowth
- Pokémon: Mewtwo Returns – Meowth
- Pokémon 4Ever – Meowth
- Pokémon Heroes – Meowth
- Pokémon: Jirachi Wish Maker – Meowth
- Pokémon: Destiny Deoxys – Meowth
- Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew – Meowth
- Pokémon Mystery Dungeon : Explorers of Time and Darkness Special – Chatot
- Ultimate Muscle: The Kinnikuman Legacy – Wally Tusket, Mrs. Tusket, Dorothy Tusket, Comrade Turbinski, Lord Flash/Warsman
- One Piece – Dr. Kureha (4Kids dub)
- Samurai Deeper Kyo – Migeira
- Shadow Hearts – Li Zhuzhen, Colonel Hyuga
- Sonic the Hedgehog series
- Slayers Try – Jillas Jillos Jilles
- Valkyrie Profile – Arngrim, Barbarossa, Lawfer, Lezard Valeth
- Viva Piñata – Corinna
- Wild Cardz - King
- Yu-Gi-Oh! – Solomon Muto (Yugi's Grandfather)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! GX – Sartorious (Season 2 only)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's – Rex Goodwin (ep. 2-14) (succeeded by Oliver Wyman)
- Deathwish – Milestone Comics, 4-issue miniseries with Yves Fezzani
- Hardware – Milestone Comics, The Hunt for Deathwish with Yves Fezzani
- Static – Milestone Comics, with Yves Fezzani
- [dead link]
- "New World Notes". Nwn.blogs.com. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- "United States Social Security Death Index". Familysearch.org. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
Adam Blaustein, 11 December 2008; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing)
- "GCD :: Issue :: Power Pachyderms #1". Comics.org. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Madeleine Blaustein at the Internet Movie Database
- Maddie Blaustein at Anime News Network's encyclopedia
- Interview with Maddie Blaustein from Trans-Ponder
- Maddie Blaustein at the English Voice Actor & Production Staff Database
- Former Marvel editor Christopher Priest on Blaustein's time at Marvel Comics
- Maddie Blaustein at Find a Grave
- Maddie Blaustein @ BehindTheVoiceActors