Made You Look
|"Made You Look"|
|Single by Nas|
|from the album God's Son|
|Released||February 11, 2003|
|Length||Main Version 3:26
Single Mix 3:21
|Label||Ill Will, Columbia|
|Producer(s)||Salaam "The Chameleon" Remi|
|Nas singles chronology|
"Made You Look" is the first single from Nas' 2002 album, God's Son. Built around several samples lifted from the Incredible Bongo Band's cover of "In-A-Gadda-da-Vida", the single was important in establishing Nas' direction following his battle with Jay-Z and the Stillmatic album in its reliance on intricate lyricism and an old-school aesthetic. The song reached much commercial success, on the level of "I Can," and it was a sizeable hit among urban audiences and remains one of the more popular tracks on the God's Son album. It is his third highest charting single to date.
Lyrically, "Made You Look" is similar to much of the material Nas was releasing in the early 2000s (decade) with its loose, complex, free-associative rhymes conveying obscure, wide-ranging themes: partying, boasting, hyping Nas and his legacy.
"Made You Look" is featured in the 2009 video game, Skate 2, after being featured in Paul Rodriguez's part in Girl "Yeah Right," along with "Get Down."
A remix surfaced a few weeks after the initial release of the song. The remix featured Yonkers native Jadakiss and Atlanta's Ludacris. The song also featured a new verse from Nas. This track, however, stayed in the mixtape circuit and did not make it onto the album.
Ja Rule used the beat on his mixtape, Loose Change, which aimed insults towards 50 Cent and the entire Aftermath/Shady camp in 2003. During the song, Ja Rule rhymes in a similar pattern to the original song.
Snoop Dogg, Jadakiss and his group D-Block used the beat as well.
- In 2005 Blender ranked "Made You Look" as the 175th best song from the 1980s through the 2000s (decade). They also named it the 16th best single of 2003.
- Pitchfork Media ranked it as the 47th best single of 2002.
- Q ranked it as the 903rd best song ever in 2003.
- "Made You Look" (Explicit Version) (3:22)
- "Made You Look" (Instrumental with Guns) (3:14)
- "The Cross" (Explicit Version) (3:47)
- Produced by Eminem
- "The Cross" (Instrumental) (3:47)
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||27|
|US Billboard Hot 100||32|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||12|
|US Hot Rap Songs (Billboard)||9|
|US Rhythmic (Billboard)||32|
- Acclaimed Music - Made You Look
- Acclaimed Music - Blender lists
- Q - 1001 best songs ever (2003)
- "Archive Chart: 2003-01-25" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- "Nas Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Nas. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- "Nas Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for Nas. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- "Nas Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Rap Songs for Nas. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
- "Nas Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rhythmic Songs for Nas. Retrieved January 3, 2015.
|This 2000s hip hop single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|