Made in England (Atomic Rooster album)
|Made in England|
|Studio album by Atomic Rooster|
|Recorded||1972 at Trident Studios, London|
|Genre||Funk rock, soul, progressive rock|
|Label||Dawn (original UK release)
Elektra (original USA release)
Brain (original German release)
Pye (original Brazilian release)
Repertoire (1991 German reissue)
Sequel (1991 UK CD reissue)
Castle (2004 UK CD reissue)
|Atomic Rooster chronology|
Made in England is the fourth album by British rock band Atomic Rooster. Although previously known for generally having a progressive rock style, this album saw the band moving in more of a funk/soul direction, largely influenced by new singer Chris Farlowe. Apart from founder member Vincent Crane, the album was recorded by an entirely different lineup to that of the band's prior effort, In Hearing of Atomic Rooster. Previous members John Du Cann and Paul Hammond had departed in protest at Crane's intended new musical direction.
In the UK and Germany, original copies of the LP came wrapped in an actual denim sleeve. Later pressings came in a standard art sleeve. In the US, the record was issued on Elektra in the standard sleeve. It was further reissued in Germany in 1977, this time in yet another new sleeve and retitled This is Atomic Rooster.
The only UK single from Made in England was "Stand by Me".
- "Time Take My Life" (Crane) 6:01
- "Stand by Me" (Crane) 3:47
- "Little Bit of Inner Air" (Parnell) 2:39
- "Don't Know What Went Wrong" (Crane) 4:00
- "Never to Lose" (Bolton) 3:17
- "Introduction" (Crane) 0:26 - indexed together with "Breathless" on all CDs
- "Breathless" (Crane) 4:51
- "Space Cowboy" (Bolton) 3:20
- "People You Can't Trust" (Crane) 3:53
- "All in Satan's Name" (Parnell) 4:44
- "Close Your Eyes" (Crane) 3:49
2004 Castle Music CD reissue bonus tracks
- "Stand by Me" (Crane) 3:24 - BBC Radio Session 1972
- "Breakthrough" (Crane/Pat Darnell) 3:07 - BBC Radio Session 1972
- "Save Me" aka "Friday the 13th" (Crane) 3:42 - BBC Radio Session 1972
- "Close Your Eyes" (Crane) 2:41 - BBC Radio Session 1972
- "Stand by Me" (Crane) 5:00 - Live in Concert 1972
- "People You Can't Trust" (Crane) 4:40 - Live in Concert 1972
- "All in Satan's Name" (Parnell) 4:01 - Live in Concert 1972
- "Devil's Answer" (Du Cann) 7:12 - Live in Concert 1972
1991 (and 1995 remastered Digipack) Repertoire Records / 2003 Akarma Records unlicensed CD reissue bonus tracks
- "Goodbye Planet Earth" (Mandala) 4:09 - Nice 'n' Greasy album track
- "Satan's Wheel" (Crane) 6:40 - as above
Personnel (original album)
- Vincent Crane: Hammond organ, piano, ARP synthesizer, Fender piano
- Chris Farlowe: vocals
- Steve Bolton: guitars
- Ric Parnell: drums, percussion, vocals on "Little Bit of Inner Air"
- Bill Smith: bass on "Stand by Me"
- Doris Troy and Liza Strike: backing vocals on "Stand by Me" and "People You Can't Trust"