|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Born||Madeline Grace Mitchell
May 17, 1989
|Title(s)||Miss Alabama USA 2011, Mrs. Alabama America 2015, Mrs. America 2015|
|Miss USA 2011 (2nd runner-up)|
Madeline Mitchell Gwin (born May 17, 1989) is an American beauty queen from Russellville, Alabama. She won the title of Miss Alabama USA 2011 and competed in the Miss USA 2011 competition, where she finished as the second runner-up. She recovered from a 12-day coma and numerous broken bones suffered in a 2008 car accident to win the Miss Alabama USA title two years later. She later won the Mrs. America 2015 pageant.
Mitchell had previously competed in the 2008 Miss Alabama USA pageant and placed as the second runner-up. She returned one year later and competed in the 2009 Miss Alabama USA competition and only finished Top 15.
With her then fiancé Ryan Gwin, Mitchell competed in the first season of Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls which premiered on July 8, 2013 on NBC. The couple finished in 4th place in the penultimate episode.
On September 26, 2008, while she was on her way to show her mother her new dress for the 2008 Miss Alabama USA competition, she hit a deer and lost control of her vehicle. The car went into 40-foot (10 m) ravine and caught fire just off of Alabama State Route 13. Walmart truck driver Gary Lewellen extinguished the fire in her car during the accident. She and her boyfriend were trapped, hanging upside down, in the car. She spent 12 days in a coma at the University of Alabama Hospital following the accident and had multiple fractures to her leg, broken ribs, and internal injuries. She spent 21 days on a respirator and two months in a wheelchair. With a femur broken in 12 places and pneumonia, she was at risk of losing not only her leg, but also her life. Although doctors had doubted the possibility, she was able to walk after several months. As of June 2011[update], she was in the final year of studies at the University of Alabama, where she studied elementary education. On November 7, 2010, as Miss Tuscaloosa, she won the title of Miss Alabama USA at the Bama Theatre in Tuscaloosa.
- ABOUT MGM COUTURE
- "Madeline Mitchell: Miss Alabama USA 2011". Pageant Update. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Miss Alabama USA Madeline Mitchell Overcomes Horrific Injuries, Heads to Miss USA Beauty Pageant". ABC News. 2011-06-16. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Alyssa Campanella wins Miss USA 2011". BeautyMania.biz. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- "Meet Miss USA Alyssa Campanella!". US Magazine. 2011-06-20. Retrieved 2011-06-21.
- "Former RBHS student wins Mrs. Alabama America". Franklin County Times. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Madeline Gwin is Mrs. America 2015". The Great Pageant Community. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "Ryan Gwin Madeline Mitchell". nbc.com. Retrieved 3 August 2013.
- Specker, Lawrence (2008-08-19). "Mobile-area couple eliminated from 'Get Out Alive with Bear Grylls'". AL.com. Retrieved 2013-08-28.
- Milligan, Cheryl (2010-11-13). "Miss Alabama prevails after tragic crash". Times Daily. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Ostendorf, Greg (2010-11-08). "Miss Tuscaloosa takes home the crown". Tuscaloosa News. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
|Miss Alabama USA