Masaba Gupta (m. 2015)
|Partner(s)||Nandana Sen (ex partner)|
|Relatives||Ram Gopal Varma (cousin)|
|Awards||National Film Award|
Limca Book of Records
Madhu Varma Mantena is an Indian film producer and entrepreneur involved in the production and distribution of films across Bollywood, Telugu cinema, and Bengali cinema. In 2008, Madhu Mantena co-produced Ghajini (2008) which was the highest grossing Indian film for that year. Since then Madhu has produced films such as the trilingual sleeper-hit Rakht Charitra (2010), the political thriller Rann (2010) screened at the Toronto International Film Festival, and the Bengali hit Autograph.
Madhu co-founded Phantom Films with Anurag Kashyap, Vikas Bahl and Vikramaditya Motwane, which went on to deliver works such as Lootera (2013), Queen (2014) which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi for that year, Hasee Toh Phasee (2014), and the Neo-Noir films, Bombay Velvet (2015), Ugly (2015) screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, and the New York Indian Film Festival, and Masaan screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival winning two awards, and the National Film Award. The 2016 film Raman Raghav 2.0 was screened at the Cannes Directors' Fortnight.
Madhu Mantena co-founded an advertisement production company known as Offroad Films which produces ad films. He made it to the Limca Book of Records for theatrically releasing seven films, produced by him, within a time span of 50 days. This is the maximum number of release in different languages by one producer in the shortest time. Four of the films were released within a short span of eight days. He also ran Ram Gopal Varma's production house Factory. His film for 2009 is Super 30.
Non film work
Madhu Mantena began his career by creating his own music label as a teenager which he then sold to Supreme Recording Company. He then went on to set up Adlabs’ International Operations under the aegis of Manmohan Shetty and was head of Saregama Films. Currently, Madhu Mantena has built a media entity with various companies operating across the entertainment and media value chain, each specializing in one of the fields of talent management, content development, content production, content distribution and monetization.
He Co-founded KWAN, a celebrity management company, with Anirban Das Blah (erstwhile CEO of Globosport). In 2012 KWAN announced a joint venture along-with Creative Artist Agency (CAA) to form a new entity, CAA KWAN. This talent management agency presently commands a variety of business interests and manages a repertoire of Indian talent as well as international talent.
|Rakta Charitra||Hindi, Telugu, Tamil|
|Jhootha Hi Sahi||Hindi|
As Producer - Phantom Films
|2014||Hasee Toh Phasee||Hindi|
|2016||Raman Raghav 2.0||Hindi|
|2016||Wrong Side Raju||Gujarati|
- National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi - 2014 - Queen (phantom films)
- Best First Film - 2015 - Masaan (phantom films)
- Filmfare Award for Best Film - Queen (phantom films)
- IIFA Award for Best Film - Queen (phantom films)
- "Masaba Gupta gets engaged to producer Madhu Mantena".
- "Nandana Sen: All my big decisions in life made sense to no one but me - Times of India".
- "Fenil and Bollywood » limca book of records". fenilandbollywood.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "How Madhu got Abbas to do his next film... - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- http://boxofficeindia.com/showProd.php?itemCat=215&catName=MjAwOA== Archived 12 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- "photos-news/Photos-Entertainment/musiclaunchvictory/Article4-361670". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "Rann -- Film Review".
- "List of films in Cannes Directors' Fortnight". Cannes. 24 May 2013. Archived from the original on 22 September 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "2015 Official Selection". Cannes. Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Screenings Guide". Festival de Cannes. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "'Masaan' - Movie Review" (Post.Jagran.com). Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "2016 Cannes Film Festival Unveils Directors' Fortnight Picks, Including New Films From Paul Schrader and Laura Poitras". Indiewire. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "'Raman Raghav' lands a big punch at Cannes". ABP Live. 17 May 2016.
- Ganti, T. (2012). Producing Bollywood: Inside the Contemporary Hindi Film Industry. Duke University Press. ISBN 9780822352136. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "Madhu Mantena Varma".
- "Jhootha Hi Sahi may be postponed by a week - Indian Express". archive.indianexpress.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "Cameo appearance by three producers in Hasee Toh Phasee - Hindustan Times". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "Ghajini producer Madhu Mantena detained for swine flu - Hindustan Times". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 2014-10-05.
- "A Mumbai wedding for Masaba Gupta & Madhu Mantena". The Economic Times. 2015-10-08. Retrieved 2018-03-22.
- "62nd National Film Awards for 2014 (Press Release)" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. 24 February 2015. Retrieved 2015-03-25.
- "63rd National Film Awards" (PDF) (Press release). Directorate of Film Festivals. 28 March 2016. Retrieved 28 March 2016.