(m. 2015; div. 2019)
|Partner(s)||Nandana Sen (2002–2013)|
|Relatives||Ram Gopal Varma (cousin)|
|Awards||National Film Award|
Limca Book of Records
Madhu Varma Mantena is an Indian film producer and entrepreneur involved in the production and distribution of films across Hindi, Telugu, and Bengali cinema. In 2008, Madhu Mantena co-produced Ghajini (2008) which was the highest grossing Indian film for that year. Since then Madhu has produced films such as the trilingual sleeper-hit Rakht Charitra (2010), the political thriller Rann (2010) screened at the Toronto International Film Festival, and the Bengali hit Autograph.
Madhu co-founded Phantom Films with Anurag Kashyap, Vikas Bahl and Vikramaditya Motwane, which went on to deliver works such as Lootera (2013), Queen (2014) which won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi for that year, Hasee Toh Phasee (2014), and the Neo-Noir films, Bombay Velvet (2015), Ugly (2015) screened in the Directors' Fortnight section at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, and the New York Indian Film Festival, and Masaan screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival winning two awards, and the National Film Award. The 2016 film Raman Raghav 2.0 was screened at the Cannes Directors' Fortnight. He made it into the Limca Book of Records for theatrically releasing seven films, produced by him, within a time span of 50 days. This is the maximum number of release in different languages by one producer in the shortest time. Four of the films were released within a short span of eight days. He also ran Ram Gopal Varma's production house Factory. His film for 2019 is Super 30
Non film work
Madhu Mantena began his career by creating his own music label as a teenager which he then sold to Supreme Recording Company. He then went on to set up Adlabs’ International Operations under the aegis of Manmohan Shetty and was head of Saregama Films. Currently, Madhu Mantena has built a media entity with various companies operating across the entertainment and media value chain, each specializing in one of the fields of talent management, content development, content production, content distribution and monetization.
He Co-founded KWAN, a celebrity management company, with Anirban Das Blah (erstwhile CEO of Globosport). In 2012 KWAN announced a joint venture along-with Creative Artist Agency (CAA) to form a new entity, CAA KWAN. This talent management agency presently commands a variety of business interests and manages a repertoire of Indian talent as well as international talent.
|Rakta Charitra||Hindi, Telugu, Tamil|
|Jhootha Hi Sahi||Hindi|
As Producer - Phantom Films
|2014||Hasee Toh Phasee||Hindi|
|2016||Raman Raghav 2.0||Hindi|
|2016||Wrong Side Raju||Gujarati|
|2008||Ghajini||International Indian Film Academy||Best Film||Nominated|
|2015||Ugly||Screen Award||Best Film||Nominated|
|Queen||62nd National Film Awards||Best Feature Film in Hindi||Won|
|Filmfare Award||Best Film||Won|
|IIFA Award||Best Movie||Won|
|Masaan||63rd National Film Awards||Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film of a Director||Won|
|2016||Wrong Side Raju||64th National Film Awards||Best Feature Film in Gujarati||Won|
- "Nandana Sen: All my big decisions in life made sense to no one but me - Times of India".
- "Fenil and Bollywood » limca book of records". fenilandbollywood.com. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "How Madhu got Abbas to do his next film... - The Times of India". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- http://boxofficeindia.com/showProd.php?itemCat=215&catName=MjAwOA== Archived 12 October 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "photos-news/Photos-Entertainment/musiclaunchvictory/Article4-361670". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Rann -- Film Review".
- "List of films in Cannes Directors' Fortnight". Cannes. 24 May 2013. Archived from the original on 22 September 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- "2015 Official Selection". Cannes. Archived from the original on 18 April 2015. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- "Screenings Guide". Festival de Cannes. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 8 May 2015.
- "'Masaan' - Movie Review" (Post.Jagran.com). Retrieved 24 July 2015.
- "2016 Cannes Film Festival Unveils Directors' Fortnight Picks, Including New Films From Paul Schrader and Laura Poitras". Indiewire. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "'Raman Raghav' lands a big punch at Cannes". ABP Live. 17 May 2016.
- Ganti, T. (2012). Producing Bollywood: Inside the Contemporary Hindi Film Industry. Duke University Press. ISBN 9780822352136. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Madhu Mantena Varma".
- Desk, IBT Entertainment (24 July 2019). "Anand Kumar praises producer Madhu Mantena on being an inspiring leader to the 'Super 30' team". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 27 August 2019.
- "Jhootha Hi Sahi may be postponed by a week - Indian Express". archive.indianexpress.com. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Cameo appearance by three producers in Hasee Toh Phasee - Hindustan Times". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "Ghajini producer Madhu Mantena detained for swine flu - Hindustan Times". hindustantimes.com. Retrieved 5 October 2014.