Madhu Purnima Kishwar is an Indian academic, and writer. She is a Senior Fellow at the Centre for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS), based in Delhi, and the Director of the Indic Studies Project based at CSDS which aims to promote the study of "Religions and Cultures in the Indic Civilization".
Life and career
Kishwar is founder editor of Manushi - a Journal about Women published since 1979. It has been described by Amartya Sen as "a pioneering feminist journal". She is also the Founder President of Manushi Sangathan, a forum for research based activist interventions which works for democratic reforms that promotes greater social justice and strengthen human rights, especially for women.
In 2013, Madhu Kishwar wrote a series of articles titled Modinama (Chronicles of Modi) in her magazine Manushi, where she was critical of the media for what she called their false propaganda about Narendra Modi's role during the Gujarat violence 2002 and in its aftermath. Subsequently, she published the book Modi, Muslims and Media, documenting a similar stance.
- In Search of Answers: Indian Women's Voices (with Ruth Vanita, Zed Books, 1984). ISBN 0862321786.
- Gandhi and Women (Manushi Prakashan, 1986). ASIN B0007BRY8S.
- Women Bhakta Poets : Manushi (Manushi Publications, 1989). ASIN B001RPVZVU.
- The Dilemma And Other Stories (with Ruth Vanitha, Manushi Prakashan, 1997). ISBN 8186573003.
- Religion at the service of nationalism and other essays (Oxford University Press, 1998). ISBN 0195641612.
- Off the Beaten Track: Rethinking Gender Justice for Indian Women (Oxford University Press, 2002). ISBN 0195658310.
- Deepening Democracy: Challenges of Governance and Globalization in India (Oxford University Press, 2006). ISBN 0195683528.
- Zealous Reformers, Deadly Laws: Battling Stereotypes (SAGE, 2008). ISBN 0761936378.
- Modi, Muslims and Media: Voices from Narandra Modi's Gujarat (Manushi Publications, 2014). ISBN 978-81-929352-0-1.
- Affidavit of Nanavati Commission http://www.carnage84.com/affidavits/nanavati/promi/madhukishwar.htm
- Burke, Jason (31 March 2011). "Shiney Ahuja, fallen Bollywood star, jailed for raping maid". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- Meyta, Neha (7 March 2010). "Ashrams of Sex and Sleaze". Mail Today – via HighBeam Research (subscription required). Retrieved 8 September 2012.
- Kumara Swamy, V (4 August 2013). "I would like to sue Amartya Sen for defamation". The Telegraph. Retrieved 2 April 2014.
- Sen, Amartya (2006). The Argumentative Indian: Writings on Indian History, Culture and Identity. Penguin. ISBN 0141012110.
- Pisharoty, Sangeetha Barooah (16 April 2010). "Voice of the Underdog". The Hindu. Retrieved 9 September 2012.
- Nair, Sangeetha (April 6, 2014). "Congress to blame for Godhra, says author Madhu Kishwar in her new book". The Times of India. Retrieved April 23, 2014.