|Born||1961 (age 57–58)|
West Bengal, India
|Churchill's Secret War (2010)|
Madhusree Mukerjee (born 1961) is an American writer. She is the author of The Land of Naked People: Encounters with Stone Age Islanders (2003) and Churchill's Secret War: The British Empire and the Ravaging of India during World War II (2010). She is also a contributor to the People's Archive of Rural India and an editor with Scientific American.
Early life and education
Mukerjee was born in West Bengal, India. She graduated from Jadavpur University with a degree in physics. After obtaining a PhD in physics from the University of Chicago—supervised by Yoichiro Nambu—she began post-doctoral studies at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech).
After Caltech, Mukerjee took up science journalism and worked for Physics Today for one year and Scientific American for seven years. She received a Guggenheim fellowship to complete her first book, The Land of Naked People (2003). In her second book, Churchill's Secret War (2010), Mukerjee documents the role played by the policies, as well as the racial worldview, of the war-time British prime minister Winston Churchill and his trusted friend and advisor Frederick Lindemann, 1st Viscount Cherwell, in the death and devastation caused by the Bengal famine of 1943 and the partition of India.
- Mukerjee, Madhusree (2014). "A Prime Example of British Civilization (1943) from Biplabi". In Schiffrin, Anya (ed.). Global muckraking : 200 years of investigative journalism from around the. [S.l.]: New Press. ISBN 1595589732.
- Mukerjee, Madhusree (2011). Churchill's secret war : the british empire and the ravaging of india during world war ii. New York: Basic Books. ISBN 0465024815.
- Mukerjee, Madhusree (2003). The land of naked people : encounters with Stone Age islanders. Boston: Houghton Mifflin. ISBN 0618197362.
- "Who's afraid of Amartya Sen?". The Telegraph. Kolkata. 27 February 2011.
- "Madhusree Mukerjee: Home".
- "A fleeting force of physics". Division of the Physical Sciences, The University of Chicago. Archived from the original on 3 February 2018. Retrieved 2 February 2018.
- "Madhusree Mukerjee: Bio and Contact".
- "Madhusree Mukerjee interviewed by John Horgan", BhTV, 18 September 2010, from 00:00:59 Archived 2018-04-08 at the Wayback Machine
- "Bio and Contact" Archived 2017-09-10 at the Wayback Machine, madhusree.com.
- Sengoopta, Chandak (2 September 2010). "Churchill's Secret War, By Madhusree Mukerjee". The Independent. Archived from the original on 17 August 2016.
- Horton, Scott (4 November 2010). "Churchill's Dark Side: Six Questions for Madhusree Mukerjee". Harpers. Archived from the original on 30 July 2016.
- Lelyveld, Joseph (23 December 2010). "Did Churchill Let Them Starve?". The New York Review of Books. Archived from the original on 28 February 2016.