Madison Municipal Airport (South Dakota)
Madison Municipal Airport
|Owner||City of Madison|
|Serves||Madison, South Dakota|
|Elevation AMSL||1,718 ft / 524 m|
Madison Municipal Airport (IATA: XMD, ICAO: KMDS, FAA LID: MDS) is a city-owned public use airport located one nautical mile (1.85 km) northeast of the central business district of Madison, a city in Lake County, South Dakota, United States. This airport is included in the FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013, which categorized it as a general aviation facility.
Although many U.S. airports use the same three-letter location identifier for the FAA and IATA, this facility is assigned MDS by the FAA and XMD by the IATA (which assigned MDS to Middle Caicos Airport in the Turks and Caicos Islands).
Facilities and aircraft
Madison Municipal Airport covers an area of 375 acres (152 ha) at an elevation of 1,718 feet (524 m) above mean sea level. It has two runways: 15/33 is 5,000 by 75 feet (1,524 x 23 m) with an asphalt and concrete surface; 3/21 is 2,400 by 200 feet (732 x 61 m) with a turf surface.
For the 12-month period ending October 19, 2009, the airport had 25,500 aircraft operations, an average of 69 per day: 98% general aviation and 2% air taxi. At that time there were 57 aircraft based at this airport: 81% single-engine, 5% multi-engine, 7% helicopter, 4% glider and 4% ultralight.
- FAA Airport Master Record for MDS ( PDF). Federal Aviation Administration. Effective 29 July 2010.
- National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems for 2009–2013: Appendix A: Part 4 (PDF, 1.61 MB) Archived 2011-06-06 at the Wayback Machine. Federal Aviation Administration. Updated 15 October 2008.
- "Madison Municipal Airport (FAA: MDS, IATA: XMD, ICAO: KMDS)". Great Circle Mapper. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- "Middle Caicos Airport, Turks and Caicos Islands (IATA: MDS, ICAO: MBMC)". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 17 August 2010.
- Airport page at City of Madison website
- Airport diagram from South Dakota DOT
- Aerial image as of 29 April 1998 from USGS The National Map
- FAA Terminal Procedures for MDS, effective July 18, 2019
- Resources for this airport: