Madison Township, Franklin County, Ohio
|Madison Township, Franklin County, Ohio|
Location of Madison Township in Franklin County.
|• Total||40.6 sq mi (105 km2)|
|• Land||39.9 sq mi (103 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2 km2)|
|Elevation||748 ft (228 m)|
|• Density||580/sq mi (220/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086107|
Madison Township is one of the seventeen townships of Franklin County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 23,509 people in the township, 10,795 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and municipalities:
- Columbus - north
- Brice - northeast
- Lithopolis - southeast
- Truro Township - northeast
- Violet Township, Fairfield County - east
- Bloom Township, Fairfield County - southeast
- Madison Township, Pickaway County - south
- Harrison Township, Pickaway County - southwest corner
- Hamilton Township - west
- Obetz - northwest
Several municipalities are located in Madison Township:
- The city of Canal Winchester, in the east
- The city of Columbus, in the north and southwest
- The city of Groveport, in the west
- The village of Obetz, in the northwest
- The city of Pickerington, in the northeast
The following streams run through Madison Township:
Name and history
The township was organized in 1810, when its population had reached 500.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for County Subdivisions". U.S. Census Bureau, Geography Division. 2 February 2011. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Population and Household Counts for Governmental Units: 2010, 2000, 1990" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. August 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-10-27. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Madison Township Home Page Madison Township. Accessed 2007-05-28.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.