Madison Township, Lake County, Ohio
|Madison Township, Lake County, Ohio|
Location of Madison Township in Lake County
|• Total||184.4 sq mi (477.6 km2)|
|• Land||43.7 sq mi (113.2 km2)|
|• Water||140.7 sq mi (364.4 km2)|
|Elevation||623 ft (190 m)|
|• Density||420/sq mi (162.8/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086423|
Madison Township is one of the five townships of Lake County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 18,428 people in the township, 15,494 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township. It is the largest township in Ohio by area.
Located in the easternmost part of the county along Lake Erie, it borders the following townships:
- Geneva Township, Ashtabula County - northeast
- Harpersfield Township, Ashtabula County - east
- Trumbull Township, Ashtabula County - southeast corner
- Thompson Township, Geauga County - south
- LeRoy Township - southwest
- Perry Township - west
Several populated places are located in Madison Township:
- The village of Madison, in the center
- A small portion of the village of North Perry, in the far northwest
- The census-designated place of North Madison, along the lakeshore
- Part of the unincorporated community of Unionville, on the border with Harpersfield Township
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. Currently, the board is composed of Chairman Max Andersen, Jr., and members Peter V. Wayman and Kenneth R. Gauntner, and Terry Gerred-Ditchcreek is the Fiscal Officer
Students enrolled in kindergarten through the fifth grade attend Madison Elementary North or Madison Elementary South and students in grades sixth through eight attend Madison Middle School. Local high school students attend Madison High School. Madison Township is also home to one of Lakeland Community College's three off-site centers.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Lake County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- Trustee Madison Township. Accessed 2014-12-06.