Madison Township, Scioto County, Ohio
|Madison Township, Scioto County, Ohio|
Former schoolhouse on the township's northern edge
Location of Madison Township in Scioto County
|• Total||52.0 sq mi (134.6 km2)|
|• Land||52.0 sq mi (134.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||748 ft (228 m)|
|• Density||79/sq mi (31/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086928|
Located in the northeastern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Marion Township, Pike County - north
- Scioto Township, Jackson County - northeast
- Hamilton Township, Jackson County - east
- Union Township, Pike County - southeast
- Bloom Township - south
- Harrison Township - west
- Jefferson Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Madison Township, although the unincorporated communities of Minford and Mule Town lie along the border with Harrison Township and in the township's southwest respectively.
Name and history
Madison Township was settled as early as 1797 and was organized in 1810.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Madison township, Scioto County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 30, 2012.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- "Portsmouth Area Resource Guide, 2007-2008". The Community Common. 2007-07-29. p. 6.
- Kilbourn, John (1833). "The Ohio Gazetteer, or, a Topographical Dictionary". Scott and Wright. p. 289. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.