Madrid Spain Temple
|Madrid Spain Temple|
|Dedication||19 March 1999
Gordon B. Hinckley
|Site||3.5 acres (1.4 hectares)|
|Floor area||45,800 sq ft (4,250 m2)|
|Preceded by||Colonia Juárez Chihuahua Mexico Temple|
|Followed by||Bogotá Colombia Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The Madrid Spain Temple, built in Moratalaz, a district of Madrid, was announced in 1996. This temple is the centerpiece of a complex built on more than 3 acres (1.2 ha) of land which includes a missionary training center, an institute, temple patron housing, a distribution center, a Family History Center, and underground parking.
The temple in Madrid is a highly visible symbol of the church's presence in Spain. During the open house, over 100,000 community members and government officials toured the temple, including King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofía.
LDS Church president Gordon B. Hinckley went to Spain to dedicate the Madrid Spain Temple and had his third visit with the King and Queen. During the visit, Hinckley presented them with a special gift created by well-known Spanish artists: a Lladro figurine of the Christus, modeled after the original by Bertel Thorvaldsen. Jose Lladro, president of the Lladro Company, had personally delivered the first five issues of the figurine to Hinckley at the temple site. One of the five figurines is now on permanent display in the temple foyer.
Hinckley dedicated the temple on 19 March 1999. The Madrid Spain Temple has a total of 45,800 square feet (4,250 m2), four ordinance rooms, and four sealing rooms.
- F. Burton Howard, former temple president
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Spain
- "Construction well under way on Madrid temple", Church News, November 16, 1996
- Harmon, Carolee L. (March 6, 1999), "Sacred edifice to 'change lives' of many in Spain", Church News
- Avant, Gerry (March 27, 1999), "Cover Story: Temple dedicated in Madrid, Spain", Church News
- Avant, Gerry (March 27, 1999), "Madrid's temple square", Church News