Madrone, Morgan Hill, California
Clockwise: Capriano Park, Madrone Hills, Madrone Historical Monument.
Madrone is a neighborhood of Morgan Hill, California, in Silicon Valley, located at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Once an independent township within Santa Clara County, the City of Morgan Hill annexed the Town of Madrone in 1959, turning the town into Morgan Hill's northern district, bordering San Jose, California. Today, Madrone is primarily an affluent residential area, home to numerous luxury developments and landed estates.
The area now known as Madrone had long been known as a popular campsite for Spanish colonists traveling between Monterey and San Jose. However, Madrone was first permanently settled in 1835, during the period of Mexican rule in California, by Juan María Hernández, who was granted the Rancho Refugio de la Laguna Seca. In 1845, the rancho came into the hands of Captain William Fisher, the first American citizen to own land in the area.
Soon after the 1850 American Conquest of California, the area was organized as the Burnett Township in 1852, named after Peter Hardeman Burnett, the first American Governor of California and local resident. By 1882, settlement came to be known as Madrone, after the Pacific Madrone, with the popularity of the local Madrone Mineral Springs.
Within Madrone, there are numerous distinct communities, including:
- Madrone Plaza
- Willow Springs Canyon
Madrone is home to a number of Silicon Valley tech companies, all housed within the Madrone Business Park, on Madrone Parkway. Some of these companies include:
Madrone is also home to numerous small businesses and community organizations, such as:
- Josephine Bakery, a high-end, specialty bakery housed in a historic Spanish Revival building.
- Edward Boss Prado Foundation, a Morgan Hill charitable foundation
Madrone is served by the Morgan Hill Unified School District:
- Morgan Hill Times - Morgan Hill Centennial
- "City of Morgan Hill - Historic Context Matrix". morgan-hill.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- City of Morgan Hill - Construction Emission Health Risk Analysis
- "Madrone Morgan Hill, CA 95037, Neighborhood Profile". NeighborhoodScout. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- "City of Morgan Hill - Historic Context Statement". morgan-hill.ca.gov. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- "The Bigger Picture: Time to discuss changing name of Burnett school". Morgan Hill Life. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Carolyn Feroben. "BURNETT TOWNSHIP, SANTA CLARA COUNTY PIONEER BIOGRAPHIES- 1881". mariposaresearch.net. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- Mercury News - Madrone Plaza in Morgan Hill
- Paramit - Headquarters
- Harris Corporation - Morgan Hill Madrone office
- Morgan Hill Life - Josephine’s serves up delectable desserts, delicious sandwiches
- Morgan Hill Life - Nonprofit hands out necessities at annual Oktoberfest celebration
- Morgan Hill Life - 11 June 2014
- Morgan Hill Life - Central helps high school students prepare for life after graduation