In October 2011 he released a new documentary, The Ambassador, about the trading of diplomatic titles in Africa. Brügger impersonated a Liberian ambassador by purchasing a new identity on a black market, and then proceeded to expose the ease with which people holding diplomatic titles can exploit the gem trade.
As result of the revelations in the documentary the government of Liberia has taken legal steps to prosecute Brügger and the other participants, due to the embarrassment his work has done to the country. However, as of July 2012 the Danish government has not been presented with a formal demand for the extradition of Brügger.
Brügger directed Cold Case Hammarskjöld (premiere at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival), which is a documentary film about the death of UN General Secretary Dag Hammarskjöld in a plane crash in 1961. In January 2019 Brügger reported in three articles in The Guardian about his findings.
In October 2020, Brügger's documentary The Mole: Undercover in North Korea was released, featuring a Danish chef going undercover in the Korean Friendship Association over the course of ten years while trying to uncover the illicit arms and narcotics dealings of North Korea.
- "THE MAN WITH THE YELLOW HAT GONE BAD". Danish Film Institute. 6 May 2011.
- Dworkin, Jennifer (Sep–Oct 2012). "The Ambassador". Film Comment. 48 (5): 84–85. Retrieved 24 September 2012.
- "Is Exploitation Ever OK?". Huffington Post. 29 August 2012.
- Scott, A. O. (28 August 2012). "'The Ambassador,' Directed by Mads Brugger". The New York Times.
- Julian Isherwood (25 May 2009). "Liberia to sue The Ambassador". Politiken.
- Graham-Harrison, Emma; Rocksen, Andreas; Brügger, Mads (12 January 2019). "RAF veteran 'admitted 1961 killing of UN secretary general'". The Guardian. Retrieved January 29, 2019.
- Graham-Harrison, Emma; Rocksen, Andreas; Brügger, Mads (20 January 2019). "Coups and murder: the sinister world of apartheid's secret mercenaries". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- Graham-Harrison, Emma; Rocksen, Andreas; Brügger, Mads (27 January 2019). "Ex-mercenary claims South African group tried to spread Aids". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- "Documentary claims to expose North Korea trying to dodge sanctions". BBC. 11 Oct 2020. Retrieved 12 Oct 2020.
- "Mads Brügger ny Deadline-vært" (in Danish). MediaWatch.dk. 25 May 2009. Archived from the original on 6 October 2011. Retrieved 30 December 2010.