Madurai Adheenam is the oldest Saivite mutt or aadheenam (mutt) in South India established more than 1,300 years ago, and is said to have been rejuvenated by Thirugnana Sambandar. It is located near the famous Meenakshi Amman Temple in Madurai, which is one of the most famous Siva-Shakthi shrines in the world. It is an active centre of Saiva Siddhanta philosophy. It is currently headed by Srila Sri Arunagirinatha Gnanasambantha Desika Paramacharya - who is the 292nd Guru Maha Sannidhanam or Pontiff of the Aadheenm.
However in April 2016, V. Thirunavukarasu (38) from Pillaiyarpatti was anointed successor to the present head of Madurai Adheenam. A case has been filed challenging the appointment before the Madurai bench of Madras HC.
The adheenam is the hereditary trustee of four temples in Thanjavur District
- Agniswarar Temple, Kanjanur
- Sakshinatheswarar Temple, Thiruppurambiyam
- Kachaneswara Swami Temple, Kachanam
- Pannagaparameswara Swami Temple
- சைவ ஆதீனங்கள், முனைவர் தவத்திரு ஊரான் அடிகள், வர்த்தமானன் பதிப்பக வெளியீடு, 2002 ப. 545–550
- How to Become a Hindu: A Guide for Seekers and Born Hindus, Sivaya Subramuniyaswami, Motilal Banarsidass Publ., 2002 p. 387
- Successor to Madurai Adheenam announced, The Hindu, April 22, 2016
- Nithyananda files case against appointment of junior pontiff of Madurai Adheenam, Times of India, Jul 31, 2016