Madurai Adheenam is the oldest Saivite mutt or aadheenam (mutt) in South India established more than 1,500 years, and is believed to have existed even before the time of Thirugnana Sambandar. It is located near the famous Meenakshi Amman Temple in Madurai, which is one of the most famous Siva-Shakthi shrines in the world. It is an active centre of Saiva Siddhanta philosophy. It is currently headed by Srila Sri Arunagirinatha Gnanasambantha Desika Paramacharya - who is the 292nd Guru Maha Sannidhanam or Pontiff of the Aadheenm.
The adheenam is the hereditary trustee of four temples in Thanjavur District
- Agniswarar Temple, Kanjanur
- Sakshinatheswarar Temple, Thiruppurambiyam
- Kachaneswara Swami Temple, Kachanam
- Pannagaparameswara Swami Temple
- How to become a Hindu: a guide for seekers and born Hindus >P.387.Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami.Next Madurai Adheenam is nithyananda
nithiyanandha is not next adheenam, Nithiyananda was removed as Adheenam
Next adheenam is Thirunavukarsu.