Location in Rio de Janeiro and Brazil
|Rio de Janeiro and Brazil|
|State||Rio de Janeiro|
|• Mayor||Rafael Tubarão|
|• Total||385.7 km2 (148.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||5 m (16 ft)|
|Website||Municipality official's website|
Magepe-Mirim was established in 1566 by Portuguese colonists. It is a very calm place, especially compared to nearby Rio.
In elections of 5 October 2008 Núbia Cozzolino was re-elected mayor with 51% of the vote but had her mandate revoked in 2009 after being impeached on various corruption charges. She was succeeded by her deputy Rozan Gomes who was also impeached resulting in a by-election on 31 July 2011, won by Nestor Vidal of the PMDB with 68.62% of the vote.
The municipality contains part of the Central Rio de Janeiro Atlantic Forest Mosaic of conservation units, created in 2006. It contains the 14,146 hectares (34,960 acres) Suruí Environmental Protection Area.
According to the mayor Nestor Vidal, the high index of growth in population is caused by the low taxes and low prices of homes in the city. The population nowadays is 271,440, up from the approx. 90,000 in the 60's. According to the 2009 census, whites were 15.2%, browns (mulatos) were 66.6% and blacks of Africans were 19.1%. Another races were representing 0.01% of the population in Magé. Class A population were 1.5%, Class B 46.2%, Class C 47.1% and Class D 6.2%, that means the index of poverty is high in the city, more than 55% are living in the poverty line in Magé.
- "Estimativas da população para 1º de julho de 2009" [Population Estimations at July 1st, 2009] (PDF). Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics. 29 October 2010. Retrieved 16 August 2009.
- "Novo prefeito de Magé tomará posse na próxima quarta-feira" [The new mayor of Magé will assumed office in the next Tuesday]. R7. 4 August 2011. Retrieved 4 August 2011.
- Costa, Lamas & Fernandes 2010, p. 13.
- Herrera 2012, p. 29.
- Costa, Cláudia; Lamas, Ivana; Fernandes, Rosan (December 2010), Planejamento Estratégico do Mosaico Central Fluminense (PDF) (in Portuguese), Reserva da Biosfera da Mata Atlântica, retrieved 2016-10-02
- Herrera, Breno (2012), Mosaico da Mata Atlântica Central Fluminense: Experiência do Planejamento Estratégico (PDF) (in Portuguese), ICMBio: Instituto Chico Mendes, retrieved 2016-10-10
|This Rio de Janeiro state, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|