|Founder||Satyendra Narayan Sinha|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. (Dr.) Rajendra Prasad|
The university is now governed by the Bihar State University Act 1976.
It provides facilities for higher learning and research in the faculties of science, social sciences, humanities and commerce. With 44 constituent colleges, 24 PG departments and 85 affiliated colleges, Magadh University is the largest university of Bihar.
After years of discussion and thought, Magadh University was finally split in 2018 and another university i.e. Pataliputra University came into being which covered under its jurisdiction all colleges located within the geographic area of Patna and Nalanda district that were earlier under Magadh University.
Magadh University was established in 1962 by Satyendra Narayan Sinha, an educationist and the then Education Minister of Bihar. K. K. Dutta, a renowned historian, was the founder vice-chancellor. It started functioning from 2 March 1962 with two constituent colleges, 32 affiliated colleges and seven postgraduate departments.
In 1992, 17 constituent colleges were transferred to the newly constituted Veer Kunwar Singh University, Arrah (Bhojpur). The university has grown to have 24 postgraduate departments, 44 constituent colleges, and 85 affiliated colleges imparting higher education in Humanities, Social Science, Science, Commerce, Medical, Engineering and Management.
Several professional/vocational courses like M.B.A., M.C.A., B.C.A., B.B.M. Environmental Science, Tourism & Travel Management, Counseling & Rehabilitation, Journalism & Mass Communication, etc. are being run in constituent/affiliated colleges. There are two government Medical Colleges, two private Engineering Colleges, one private Dental College and three Law colleges under the university. Magadh University also provides distance learning facilities.
In 2018, Magadh University was bifurcated and colleges falling within two district namely Patna and Nalanda that were under Magadh University earlier has now been placed under Patliputra University.
The university has a multi-storied library, the Mannulal Central Library, besides the department libraries. The central library has about 162,245 books, manuscripts and other reading materials. It has a wide range of ancient and modern literature and books as well as national and international journals.
All the science departments including Psychology and Geography have well-equipped laboratories for teaching and research. Research facilities are available in all the departments. The Science Labs have the modern equipment required for research.
There are eight hostels on campus having accommodation facilities for 1500 students. One girls' hostel is available to accommodate 150 students. The University Health Centre-cum-Dispensary provides medical facilities to students, teachers and other employees residing on and off campus around the clock. It has the services of three doctors, nurses and supporting paramedical staff.
A branch of Central Bank of India functions on the campus. Likewise, a post office is on campus.
A large sports complex is on the campus for outdoor and indoor games, particularly athletic events.
Magadh University is developing a modern Computer Lab to the requirement of MCA teaching. Besides the facilities for practical work in courses at the university headquarters, the constituent colleges have computer and language labs.
150 teachers work in the university departments and more than 2000 teachers are posted in constituent colleges.
There are 19 Constituent Colleges, 1 Minority College, 44 BEd Colleges and 28 Affiliated Colleges runs under Magadh University.
List of Constituent Colleges
Following are the constituent colleges of the university.
- Anugrah Memorial Law college, Gaya, India
- A.N.S College, Nabinagar
- Daudnagar College, Daudnagar
- Gaya College, Gaya
- Gautam Buddha Mahila College, Gaya
- Jagjiwan College, Gaya
- K.L.S. College, Nawada
- Kishori Sinha Mahila College, Aurangabad
- Rajendra Memorial Women's College, Nawada
- RLSY College Aurangabad , Aurangabad
- S.B.A.N College, Darhatllari
- S.D. College, Kaler
- S.N.S. College, Tekari
- S.N. Sinha College, Jehanabad, Jehanabad
- S.N.S College, Warisaliganj
- S.S. College, Jehanabad, Jehanabad
- Sachchidananda Sinha College, Aurangabad
- S.M.S.G. College, Sherghati
- T.S. College, Hisua
- SPY College, Karpi Arwal
- RCS College Kurtha, Kurtha, Arwal
- R.N.P College Arwal Arwal
- SSSG College Arwal, Arwal
- Fatehpur Sanda College, Fatehpur Sanda, Arwal
- M.S.Y College Kinjer, Kinjer Arwal
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 7 August 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Magadh University vice-chancellor message : News". magadhuniversity.ac.in. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 31 May 2019.
- "MU serves legal notice on Tata Consultancy". The Times of India. 11 December 2013. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Magadh University, Bodhgaya, Bihar
- Gaya College, Gaya
- Daudnagar College, Daudnagar, Aurangabad
- S S College, Jehanabad