|• Total||40,313 |
|Time zone||UTC-5 (GMT)|
Magburaka is the capital and largest city of Tonkolili District in the Northern Province of Sierra Leone. Its population was 16,313 in the 2004 census. and a current estimate of 40,313 . It is located at around , along the Rokel River. Magburaka lies just about 26 miles (42 km) drive south-west of Makeni, the economic center of Northern Sierra Leone and about 80 miles (135 km) drive east of the country's capital Freetown. Magburaka is a trade center and is one of the main cities in Northern Sierra Leone.
Magburaka is an educational center and is home to the Magburaka Government Secondary School for Boys, the first western standard Secondary school built in the Northern Sierra Leone. The school is one of the elite secondary schools in Sierra Leone and is well known for producing some of the most gifted students in the country. Sierra Leone's current president Ernest Bai Koroma is a graduate of the Government Secondary School for Boys. The city is home to the Magburaka Technical Institute, a two-year technical college.
The city along with the entire Tonkolili District is a stronghold of the APC.
Magburaka is the educational center of Northern Sierra Leone. The city is home to the Magburaka Government Secondary School for Boys, the first Secondary school built in Northern Sierra Leone; the school is one of the elite secondary schools in Sierra Leone and is well known for producing some of the most gifted students in the country. The city is also home to the first Girls Secondary School in the North, Mathora.
Like the rest of Sierra Leone, football is the most popular sport in Magburaka. The major football club that represent the city and the entire Tonkolili District is the Golden Dragon F.C., which is currently playing in the Sierra Leone National Premier League, the top football league in the country.
Notable people from Magburaka
- Minkailu Bah, Sierra Leone's minister of Education, Youth and Sports
- Mohammad Rashid, football star
- Osman Deen, Class of 1996, Government Secondary School for Boys. Founder & CEO of Deen's & Co. Group, Dba Telcom Logistics. Mr. Deen was born in the capital Freetown but spent most of his childhood life in Magburaka where he started his primary education and completed his secondary education up to sixth form. He was an exceptional athlete who gained the title, “best senior” for being the fastest runner on the 100 meters dash during his time. He also represented his school on both the soccer and volleyball teams. He was an active member of his Church, Free Gospel Light House in Magburaka
- Dr. John M Kabia (JMK), Programme Worker, Survivors for Peace,
- Dr. Mohamed Jalloh, Macroeconomic Policy Department, ECOWAS Commission, Abuja, Nigeria
- Idriss Kamara, Political/Electoral Affairs Officer, African Union Commission, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)
- Republic of Sierra Leone: 2004 Population and Housing Census: Analytical Report on Population Distribution, Migration and Urbanisation in Sierra Leone.
Ibrahim Mohamed Sesay, Andrew A. Karam, Jinnah J. Ngobeh. Published November 2006.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-06-17. Retrieved 2008-04-01.
[[Category:Notable People from Magburaka]]