|Born||January 27, 1981|
Magda Giannikou is a Greek-born composer, film scorer, singer, pianist and accordionist.
Early life and education
Giannikou was born 27 January 1981, in Athens, Greece. She taught in Greek elementary schools and composed music for TV and theater productions in Athens. In Greece, she participated in over 50 children's productions and began her training in classical music and jazz. Giannikou graduated from the National Conservatory of Greece with a Certificate of Excellence. She also studied at the Nakas Jazz School in Athens.
Giannikou went on to study film scoring at Berklee College of Music in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, graduating in 2008. In 2009, Giannikou was selected to be a Fellow at the Sundance Institute Composers Lab.
In 2010, Giannikou formed Banda Magda, a New York-based band, with an international group of musicians, including some fellow Berklee alumni. Their multilingual music is influenced by Latin American styles (such as samba), French chansons and Greek folk music. Banda Magda has toured in 22 countries. Their 2013 album, Amour, t'es la?, reached #9 on Billboard's Top World Music Albums chart.
Giannikou has composed music for several films and a TV show:
- 2014: Watchers of the Sky
- 2012: Louie
- 2011: Natural Selection
- 2010: La tropa de trapo en el país donde siempre brilla el sol
- "Giannikou Magda". JazzOnline.gr. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Magda Giannikou Bio" (PDF). Jefferson Center. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Magda Giannikou". Onassis Foundation USA. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Magda Giannikou". Berklee College of Music. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Sundance Institute Announces Six Fellows For The 2009 Sundance Institute Composers Lab". Sundance Institute. 2009. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Summer Thursdays: Banda Magda". Museum of Modern Art. 2017. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "World Music: Top World Albums Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Magda Giannikou". IMDb. Retrieved 18 August 2017.