Magento Admin Panel
(Community Edition, spanish)
|Initial release||March 31, 2008|
|Stable release||community edition 126.96.36.199 / enterprise edition 188.8.131.52 / May 1, 2015|
|Type||Content management system, shopping cart software|
|License||OSL Ver. 3 / AFL Ver. 3|
Magento is an open-source content management system for e-commerce web sites. The software was originally developed by Varien Inc., a US private company headquartered in Culver City, California, with assistance from volunteers.
Varien published the first general-availability release of the software on March 31, 2008. Roy Rubin, former CEO of Varien, later sold a substantial share of the company to eBay, which is now the sole owner.
Magento employs the MySQL//MariaDB relational database management system, the PHP programming language, and elements of the Zend Framework. It applies the conventions of object-oriented programming and model-view-controller architecture. Magento also uses the entity–attribute–value model to store data.
Magento officially started development in early 2007. Seven months later, on August 31, 2007, the first public beta version was released.
As of June 6, 2011 eBay owns 100% of Magento. eBay announced that Magento would join eBay's new X.Commerce initiative. Magento's CEO and co-founder Roy Rubin wrote on the Magento blog that "Magento will continue to operate out of Los Angeles, with Yoav Kutner and me as its leaders.".
Magento provides two distinct platforms, Magento Community Edition and Magento Enterprise Edition. There were also two former platforms, Magento Professional Edition and Magento Go.
Magento Community Edition
Magento Community Edition is an open-source content-management system. Fitted with bundle of features, anyone can modify the core system of Community version. Developers can implement the core files and extend its functionality by adding new plug-in modules provided by other developers. Since the first public beta version was released in 2007, Community Edition has been developed and customized in order to provide a basic eCommerce platform. The latest version is 1.9.2 which was released on Jul 07, 2015.
Magento Enterprise Edition
Magento Enterprise Edition is derived from the Magento Community Edition and has the same core files. Unlike Community Edition, this is not free, but has more features and functionality. This edition is designed for large businesses that require technical support with installation, usage, configuration, and troubleshooting. Although Magento Enterprise has annual maintenance fees, neither Community nor Enterprise Editions include hosting. The Magento team develops Enterprise Edition by cooperating with users and third parties. The latest version is 184.108.40.206 which was released on May 13, 2014.
Magento Go is a cloud-based eCommerce solution, which also includes web hosting by Magento Inc. This was launched in February 2011 in order to support small businesses as it has no need for software installation. Magento Go still has built-in modules and can add Magento extensions for more functionality, but is also the least customizable platform. The latest version is 220.127.116.11 which was released on March 28, 2014. On July 1, 2014, Magento Inc. announced that they would be shutting down the Magento Go platform on February 1, 2015.
Magento supports a Web template system which generates multiple similar-looking pages and customizes theme.
Magento provides a basic theme which sets up an eCommerce website. The theme is designed for customizing all pages by adding or editing the PHP, HTML and CSS. Magento users may install themes which change the display of the website or its functionality. Without loss of content or layout of pages, themes are interchangeable with Magento installations. Themes are installed by uploading theme folders via FTP or SSH and applying them using the backend admin system.
Magento developers have created Magento plugins which extend its basic built-in functionality. Magento users can install modules by downloading them, and uploading them to their server, or applying a module's Extension Key through Magento Connect Manager.
Magento allows users to integrate several different domain names into one control panel and manage more than one storefront at a time from a single admin panel.
Magento “Imagine eCommerce” conference
“Imagine eCommerce” is the annual Magento eCommerce conference that has run since 2011. The first event was held in February 2011 in Los Angeles with more than 600 Magento merchants, partners, and developers. The goals of the “Imagine eCommerce” are sharing ecommerce ideas and providing networking opportunity sessions.
- Comparison of shopping cart software
- Comparison of free software eCommerce web application frameworks
- List of online payment service providers
- "Magento Community Edition". Magento. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Shatkov, Dmitry (28 October 2014). "E-commerce Platforms Popularity Study, October 2014". aheadWorks. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Varien and the Magento eCommerce Platform" (PDF). Zend. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Storm, Alan. "Magento for Developers: Part 7 - Advanced ORM - Entity Attribute Value". Magento. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Interview: Roy Rubin About Magento Open Source eCommerce". United States: eCommerce Optimization. 2007-07-05. Archived from the original on 2007-07-12.
- "eBay Owns 49% Of Magento Inc – Confirmed". Magik. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Warren, Christina (6 June 2011). "eBay Acquires Open Source Ecommerce Company Magento". Mashable. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Rao, Leena (12 April 2012). "Recently Departed Magento CTO And Co-Founder: eBay Doesn’t Understand The Meaning Of Open". TechCrunch. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Avinash Pathak. "Pick the Perfect Magento Edition for Your E-Commerce Site,". tisindia. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "MAGENTO COMMUNITY EDITION 1.9.2 IS NOW AVAILABLE". Magento. Retrieved 7 July 2015.
- "Key Performance And Scalability Enhancements Of Magento Enterprise Edition 1.13". Magento. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Magento Enterprise Edition (EE) 1.14 Release Notes". Magento. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- Paul Schroer. "Magento Enterprise Edition 1.14.2 Released With Great Features,". PSDtoMagentoDeveloper.
- "Is Magento the best e-commerce platform on the market today? You bet it is.". Cofamedia. 5 January 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Imagine 2015". Magento. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "MAGENTO CERTIFICATION". Magento. Retrieved 17 January 2015.