Maggie Anderson (activist)
|Margarita (Maggie) Anderson|
|Born||1971 (age 43–44)
|Residence||Oak Park, Illinois|
|Education||North Miami Beach High School
Emory University, B.A. 1993 (political science)
University of Chicago, J.D. 1998, M.B.A. 2001
|Known for||campaign to buy only from black enterprises|
|Notable work||Anderson, Maggie; Ted Gregory (2012). Our black year : one family's quest to buy Black in America's racially divided economy. New York, NY: PublicAffairs. ISBN 9781610390248. LCCN 2011040609.|
|Home town||Liberty City, Miami, Florida|
|Spouse(s)||John Carl Anderson|
Anderson grew up in Liberty City, Miami, Florida and earned degrees at Emory University and University of Chicago. Her husband, John Anderson, is from Detroit, went to Harvard, and earned his MBA at Kellogg School of Management. They conceived the project after an expensive dinner at the posh Tru restaurant on Chicago's Magnificent Mile.
Anderson and her family spent a full year (2009) patronizing, as much as possible, only African-American owned businesses, eschewing all others. She wrote a book about the experience, reporting that in some fields, it was difficult to find black owned businesses, and that black people patronized businesses within their own ethnic group less than other ethnic groups.
Anderson has participated in successful political campaigns for Rep. John Lewis, Mayor of Atlanta Bill Campbell, and Barack Obama's campaign for U.S. Senate. She has done work for the RainbowPUSH Coalition.
- Anderson, Maggie; Ted Gregory (2012). Our black year : one family's quest to buy Black in America's racially divided economy. New York, NY: PublicAffairs. ISBN 9781610390248. LCCN 2011040609.
- "MARGARITA ANDERSON IS THE FOUNDER AND CEO OF THE EMPOWERMENT EXPERIMENT (EE) AND THE EMPOWERMENT EXPERIMENT FOUNDATION, INC." (pdf). Vocus. March 12, 2012. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Maggie Anderson | LinkedIn". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Maggie Anderson, Krissah Thompson (March 10, 2012). "After Words with Maggie Anderson". Book TV. C-SPAN. Retrieved 2015-04-21.
- Shropshire, Terry (December 12, 2011). "Maggie Anderson Pens Book, ‘Our Black Year,’ About Buying From Black Businesses for Entire Year". Rolling Out - Black News, Celebrity Videos, Entertainment, Business & Politics. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Our Black Year, with Maggie Anderson 93C". Emory Bubble. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Edmond, Alfred, Jr. (March 14, 2012). ""Our Black Year" - The story of one family’s mission to buy black". Black Enterprise. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- Robinson, Larisa (January 25, 2012). "Mission Accomplished: Maggie Anderson". emPower Magazine. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- "Buying black". Chicago Tribune. March 9, 2009. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "The Empowerment Experiment Foundation, Inc. - Board of Directors". Docstoc, Inc. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Gray, Steven. "Buying Black: An Ebony Experiment". TIME. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
A Chicago couple vows to buy only from black-owned businesses for an entire year. They call it an empowerment experiment. But is it racist?(video)
- "The Empowerment Experiment". Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Appearances on C-SPAN
|This biographical article about a United States activist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|