Maghull North railway station
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|18 June 2018||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|UK Railways portal|
Maghull North is the newest railway station in Merseyside, which opened on 18 June 2018 to serve the north end of Maghull, Merseyside, England. The station serves as the main station for Moss Side, Ashworth Hospital and planned new housing.
An announcement was made in December 2010 that a planned prison and proposed new railway station had been axed by Government spending cutbacks.
However, in June 2014 it was announced that the land was to be used for housing and that the station would be built as part of the project. Further mention was made in Merseytravel's 30 Year Plan and in November 2015 proposals were opened for public comment.
In October 2016, the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority approved the business case for the station, which was expected to cost £13 million to build. The station was planned to have two 125 m (137 yd) platforms, a 156-space car park, step-free access and provision for electric vehicle charging points, as well as connections to pedestrian, bus and cycle routes.
Sefton Council approved the planning permission for the station in January 2017, and work began on the station in September 2017. On Monday 18 June 2018, the station opened to passengers, making it the first new railway station in the region in 20 years.
The station is on the Ormskirk to Liverpool branch of the Northern Line. Trains run every 15 minutes during the day, Monday to Saturday. During the evening, and all day on Sundays, services run every 30 minutes.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
towards Liverpool Central
- "Areas and Zones Boundary Points For Pre-paid Tickets scheme" (PDF). Merseytravel. Retrieved 18 June 2018.
- "Station facilities for Maghull North". National Rail Enquiries. Retrieved 15 March 2018.
- "New railway station opens on Merseyside". ITV News. Retrieved 24 June 2018.
- "Councillors protest Maghull North railway station being axed". Champion News. 18 December 2010. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "Sefton council to build 370 homes and a new station in Maghull on land earmarked for prison". Liverpool Echo. 6 June 2014. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Shennan, Paddy (28 August 2014). "Merseytravel plan to open or reopen host of new stations". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "New Maghull North station proposals on show at public information event". Merseytravel.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-20.
- "Maghull North opening planned for 2017". RAIL. 27 November 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- "Go-ahead for Maghull North". Modern Railways. 25 January 2017. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Green light given to Merseyrail's new Maghull North station". Rail Technology Magazine. 23 January 2017. Retrieved 19 February 2017.
- "Work gets underway on new station at Maghull North". www.merseytravel.gov.uk. Retrieved 19 September 2017.
- "New railway station opens on Merseyside". ITV News. 18 June 2018. Retrieved 1 August 2018.
|This article on a railway station in Merseyside is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|