Magic Carpet Ride (Steppenwolf song)
|"Magic Carpet Ride"|
Cover of the 1968 Netherlands single
|Single by Steppenwolf|
|from the album The Second|
|Genre||Acid rock, psychedelic rock, hard rock|
"Magic Carpet Ride" is a rock song written by John Kay and Rushton Moreve from the Canadian-American hard rock band Steppenwolf. The song was initially released in 1968 on the album The Second. It was the lead single from that album, peaking at number three in the US, and staying in the charts for 16 weeks, longer than any other Steppenwolf song.
The single version differs noticeably from the album version with a different vocal take by Kay used for the first verse of the song and differing instrumental balances, most notably the introduction feedback. The single version is also much shorter than the album version, with a running time of 2 minutes and 55 seconds. (The album version is 4 minutes and 25 seconds long.)
- Gary Littman (1 October 2012). In Love. AuthorHouse. p. 3. ISBN 978-1-4772-7660-0. Retrieved 27 September 2015.
- "Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf - Song Info". AllMusic.
- Steppenwolf - Chart history, Billboard.com. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- Flavour of New Zealand
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-1990 - ISBN 0-89820-089-X
- Cash Box Top 100 Singles, December 7, 1968
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". collectionscanada.gc.ca.
- Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 28, 1968
- The South African Rock Encyclopedia, http://rock.co.za/