Magic Johnson Foundation
The Magic Johnson Foundation, founded by Magic Johnson in 1991 the same year Magic Johnson retired, works to develop programs and support community-based organizations that address the educational, health and social needs of ethnically diverse, urban communities. MJF has three strategic priorities: HIV/AIDS, Scholarship, & Community Empowerment Centers. Currently, the Foundation serves more than 250,000 individuals each year through direct and collaborative services and programs that enhance the lives of economically challenged people and empower underserved communities.
2011 marked the 20th anniversary for the Magic Johnson Foundation. In celebration of this milestone, MJF launched a twelve-month campaign of special events and activities known as MJF: 20. The campaign commemorates twenty years of distinguished service and impact.
- In 2011, the Magic Johnson Foundation began to celebrate their 20th anniversary.
- To date, the Taylor Michaels Scholarship program has provided over 350 youth with resources and support.
- By year’s end 2011, MJF's Community Empowerment Centers (CECs) will have impacted over 245,000 disadvantaged youth.
- The CECs have provided direct services to over 250,000 students in 16 urban markets.
- CECs have awarded over $3 million in hardware and software grants.
- CECs Awarded over $250K in online learning scholarships.
- The CECs have hosted over 300 students at Technology Boot camps.
- CECs have improved the Academic Performance of over 6,500 youth.
- Through the “I Stand with Magic” campaign over 89,000 people have signed up in the online campaign fight against HIV/AIDS.
- Through the "I Stand with Magic" campaign, the Magic Johnson Foundation has provided free HIV/AIDS testing to more than 38,000 Americans in 16 major cities. * Additionally, the program has educated nearly 280,000 people about HIV, risk factors associated with the disease and the importance of HIV testing.
- Since 2003, our partnership with AIDS Healthcare Clinics has tested over, 3,750 adults and identified positive results for over 1,000 testers.
- The Magic Johnson Foundation Annual Kids Mardi Gras started in 1997 has hosted over 16,500 disadvantaged urban youth.
- The Magic Johnson Foundation Annual Holiday Party has hosted over 45,000 youth and distributed over 300,000 toys since 1994.