The front cover of the North American release of the Magical Kanan OVA DVD Volume 1, from NuTech
(Septem Charm Majikaru Kanan)
|Genre||Visual novel, Eroge|
|Released||17 December 1998|
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Yasuhiro Matsumura|
|Released||25 August 2000|
|Original video animation|
|Magical Kanan: Palpitating Summer Camp|
|Released||25 August 2002|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Masahi Abe|
|Network||Tokyo Metropolitan Television (Japan)
Hero TV (Philippines)
Mighty Media Co., Ltd. (Taiwan)
|Original run||1 January 2005 – 26 March 2005|
Magical Canan (まじかるカナン?) (also appears as Magical Kanan) is a magical girl eroge developed and published by Terios. It was later adapted into two erotic OVA series and a 13 episode-long television series. Both OVA series were previously licensed for distribution in North America by NuTech Digital in 2004. Since 2006 the OVAs are licensed by Adult Source Media. The TV series has been licensed for distribution in the Philippines and dubbed in Tagalog by Hero and licensed in Taiwan by Mighty Media Co., Ltd. The game and anime TV series have never been licensed for distribution in North America.
The plot of the story is that five dangerous "seeds" have been stolen from their vault in the world of Evergreen and sent to Earth. The magical seeds can bind themselves to humans and prey off their desires, turning them into monsters. Natsuki, an agent of Queen Tsuyuha, is sent to Earth to seek out a Magical Warrior. He and Hiiragi Chihaya, a high school girl, meet, and she transforms into Magical Senshi Carmein. Complications arise with the arrival of the obnoxious Magical Warrior Cerulean Blue, and the mysterious transfer student, Emi Kojima.
Note that the following descriptions are specific to the anime.
- Chihaya Hiiragi (柊 ちはや Hiiragi Chihaya)?, (Voiced by: Ryou Hirohashi)
- A high school student who works at Angel Kiss, the restaurant managed by her mother. With the help of Natsuki, she can transform into Magical Warrior Carmein (カーマイン). Carmein is Chihaya's idealized self (a more adult appearance) and she also receives magical powers while in that form.
- An animal that appeared at Chihaya's school. He appears to be similar to a rabbit but is an unknown animal and the school nurse wished to dissect him when he was captured. Chihaya rescued him and took him to her house, though problems arose with her parents as animals are not permitted in the restaurant. Natsuki revealed himself to be a person from Evergreen, a magical land. He appears as an animal due to lack of magical energy. Despite his intimacy with Chihaya, she is chalk and cheese with him in the OVA, but this has been dulled down quite a lot in the anime.
- A very rich girl who is Chihaya's close friend. She can transform into Magical Warrior Cerulean Blue (with the help of her partner Hazuna) and takes the form of her idealized self (being more outspoken). She has a strong bond with Hazuna, so she is very powerful as a Magical Warrior, however, this consumes much of her physical strength, so she is weak in her civilian form.
- Sayaka's partner and an agent of Queen Tsuyuha. Like Natsuki, he has the ability to transform Sayaka into a Magical Warrior. His animal form is similar to a purple ferret (a yellow one in the OVA). He poses as Sayaka's private tutor. He is also Natsuki's brother.
- Emi Kojima (小島 えみ Kojima Emi)?, (Voiced by: Ui Miyazaki)
- A girl from Evergreen who transfers to Chihaya's school under the name Emi Kojima. Her real name is Septem. She is in love with Bergamot, but he is only attracted to her because of her resemblance to his wife, Emi Hiiragi. She works with Bergamot to help protect Chihaya from Fennel and Calendula. Though depicted as a heroine in the anime, in the OVA she was depicted as a villainess.
- Bergamot (ベルガモット Berugamotto)?, (Voiced by: Hideyuki Tanaka)
- Chihaya's father. Fennel talked him into stealing the seeds from their vault. Even before that, however, he became a fugitive for eloping with the human Emi Hiiragi, who became Chihaya's mother. Eventually he comes to Earth with Septem with the intent of protecting Chihaya from Fennel. While on Earth, he poses as a teacher at Chihaya's school under the name Jounouchi.
- Fennel (フェンネル Fenneru)?, (Voiced by: Hirotaka Suzuoki)
- The main antagonist of the series. He is the one behind the seeds coming to Earth. He aims to harness Chihaya/Carmein's power at its peak, infecting her and using it to destroy the world and "purify" it. On Earth he poses as the chairman of Chihaya's school.
- Calendula (カレンデュラ Karendura)?, (Voiced by: Chiaki Takahashi)
- Fennel's underling. She is responsible for infecting the individual humans with seeds. Near the end of the series, she is infected with first one, then two seeds so as to make her stronger, which ends up destroying her.
Both OVA series released on DVD by NuTech Digital, Inc. were reviewed by Chris Beveridge for the media blog Mania.com. He gave a positive review for the six-episode Magical Kanan Box Set and gave it an overall grade of "B".[dead link] He gave a less positive review for the two-episode Magical Kanan Special Box Set and gave it an overall grade of "C".