|Comune di Magliano Vetere|
Magliano Vetere within the Province of Salerno
|Frazioni||Capizzo, Magliano Nuovo|
|• Mayor||Carmine D'Alessandro|
|• Total||23.3 km2 (9.0 sq mi)|
|Elevation||650 m (2,130 ft)|
|• Density||29/km2 (75/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Lucy|
|Saint day||3rd sunday of September|
The town, anciently named Malleanum or Mallianum, was first mentioned in a document of the 9th century. It was a Norman state (internal susbdivision of a baronial circumdary) that included Capizzo, Stio and Gorga. Heavily damaged in a fire in 1669, Magliano was rebuilt over a nearby hill, site of an ancient Goth castle, with the name of Magliano Nuovo ("New Magliano"). Some years later, the original site was rebuilt with the name of Magliano Vetere ("Old Magliano").
Magliano Vetere is located in a hill area in the middle of the Cilento, above the Alento river valley and close to the gorges of Calore Lucano. It borders with the municipalities of Felitto, Laurino, Monteforte Cilento, Orria and Stio.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- (in Italian) Source: Istat 2011
- (in Italian) History of Magliano on the municipal website
- 40443 Magliano Vetere on OpenStreetMap
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Magliano Vetere.|
|This Campanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|