|3D model (Jmol)||Interactive image|
|Molar mass||140.30 g·mol−1|
Except where otherwise noted, data are given for materials in their standard state (at 25 °C [77 °F], 100 kPa).
Magnesium chromate is a chemical compound, with the formula MgCrO4. It is a white or brownish, odorless, water-soluble solid with several important industrial uses. This chromate occurs naturally as a spinel, or can be manufactured as a powder.
Before 1940, the literature about Magnesium chromate and its hydrates was sparse, but studies starting in that year looked at its properties and solubility.
As a hydrate, it is useful as a corrosion inhibitor and pigment, or as an ingredient in cosmetics. In 2011, an undecahydrate (containing 11 molecules of water) of this compound was discovered by scientists at the University College London.
Magnesium chromate hydrate should be stored at room temperature, and there is no current therapeutic use. It is a suspected carcinogen, and can cause acute and dermititis, and possibly kidney and liver damage if inhaled, so it should be treated as a hazardous waste.
- Hill, Arthur E.; Soth, Glenn C.; Ricci, John E. (1940). "The Systems Magnesium Chromate—Water and Ammonium Chromate—Water from 0 to 75°1". Journal of the American Chemical Society. 62 (8): 2131. doi:10.1021/ja01865a059.
- "Magnesium Chromate". American Elements. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Li, Su Ping; Jia, Xiao Lin; Qi, Ya Fang (2011). "Synthesis of Nano-Crystalline Magnesium Chromate Spinel by Citrate Sol-Gel Method". Advanced Materials Research. 284-286: 730. doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.284-286.730.
- "Magnesium chromate hydrate, 99.8% (metals basis)". Us.vwr.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Item # MG-401, Heavy Magnesium Chromate Powder On Atlantic Equipment Engineers, A Division Of Micron Metals, Inc". Metal-powders-compounds.micronmetals.com. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- Fortes, A. Dominic; Wood, Ian G. (March 2012). "X-ray powder diffraction analysis of a new magnesium chromate hydrate, MgCrO4·11H2O". Powder Diffraction. 27 (1): 8–11. doi:10.1017/S088571561200005X.
- "Magnesium chromate hydrate | CAS 23371-94-0 | Santa Cruz Biotech". Santa Cruz Biotechnology, Inc. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
- "Material Data Sheet" (PDF). McGean-Rohco, Inc. Retrieved 2013-07-16.
|This chemistry-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|