Magyar Távirati Iroda
MTI is owned by MTI Rt., founded by the Parliament. The members of the Owners’ Advisory Body are elected by the National Assembly of Hungary on four-year terms. It's a marketleader, and is considered by some sources to be a ‘balanced and reliable source’. Still, it finds it difficult to raise subscriptions as most major Hungarian newspapers are foreign-owned. It must turn to the government for capital to overcome its technology deficit.
According to a UNESCO report it faces competition both from independent and specialist news agencies (e.g. English-language on-line news sites, including the Budapest Business Journal, The Budapest Sun, websites of various television and radio stations), and from domestic Hungarian news services established by Reuters and AFP.
On 1 July 2015, Magyar Távirati Iroda as well as the three other public media organizations managed by the MTVA were merged into a single organization called Duna Media Service (Hungarian: Duna Médiaszolgáltató). This organization is the legal successor to Magyar Távirati Iroda.
- "About MTI". MTI. Archived from the original on 5 February 2009.
- "Final Report of the Workshop on News Agencies in the Era of the Internet" (pdf). UNESCO. January 2001. p. 53. Retrieved 12 January 2009.
- "Hungarian public service media companies merge - MTVA". Media Service Support and Asset Management Fund (MTVA). Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 23 August 2015.
The merger ensures that the companies do not terminate their operation without having a legal successor.
- "Original press release of MTVA on the merger in Hungarian". Archived from the original on 9 December 2018. Retrieved 8 December 2018.
- Gábor Polyák (22 January 2015). "New Amendment to the Media Act". Mérték Média Monitor. Archived from the original on 6 December 2017. Retrieved 4 December 2018.
|This European corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hungary-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|