Barpeta district, Assam
|— Bodybuilder —|
|Born||May 17, 1969
Barpeta District, Assam, India
|Best win||Mr Universe, 2009|
Mahadev Deka is a bodybuilder from Barpeta district, Assam, India. By profession he is an assistant engineer in Public health department of Assam. In 2008 he was the runner up of Musclemania Superbody world championship and in 2009 has won the championship as Mr Universe 2009 held in Florida from June 18–21.
He follows a daily diet of 20 egg whites, a chicken, fruit juice, little rice, lot of green vegetables and allotted supplements.
In August 2002, Mahadev underwent an Open heart surgery. Post-operation, he developed a lump in his chest. He was advised an open-heart surgery to get it removed and so he took a break of three months. He also underwent chemotherapy. But all these could not resist him to go to his favorite place, the gym.
In 2008 he was the runner up of Musclemania Superbody world championship, and won its Mr Universe title in the bantamweight class in 2009 held in Florida. He received a hero’s welcome on his return to from fans for his victory. Chief Minister of Assam Tarun Gogoi promised him a house and the Numaligarh Refinery Limited has announces a cash award of Rs50,000. Asom PHE Minister Rihon Daimary, at a function held at his office chamber, felicitated him with Chelleng Chador, Xorai and a cash award of Rs.25,000.
He is the main drive of fame of body building towards north east and a most inspiring person to inspire youth towards bodybuilding
Mahadev Deka has been involved in several charities. He is the brand ambassador for an NGO called Kidney Citizen  which is a one of a kind not for profit organization supporting people with kidney diseases. Kidney Citizen is a registered charitable trust set up by Uttam Basar for helping the cause of the underprivileged and all patients with kidney diseases. The Foundation has two focus areas: Awareness and Healthcare. To increase the reach and corpus of the Foundation, Mahadev Deka has undertaken initiatives such as spreading awareness through public appearances and its website for which Kidney Citizen has teamed up with the internet technology company, TOUCHWEB Solutions. The aim is to raise awareness through the website about kidney transplant procedure, kidney stone, and other kidney related issues, which can save lives.
- "Mahadev Deka, Mr Universe Musclemania Superbody 2009 Winner". June 22, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- "After heart surgery, Assam lad becomes Mr Universe". June 22, 2009. Retrieved July 1, 2009.
- Kalita, Prabin (June 22, 2009). "Heart patient is Mr Universe". The Times of India. Kolkata: 9.
- "Tumultuous welcome to Assam bodybuilder". The Hindu. Chennai, India. June 25, 2009. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- "Mr. Universe 2009 Body Builder Mahadev Deka arrives at home". June 25, 2009. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- "PHE Minister felicitates Mahadev Deka". June 30, 2009. Retrieved July 4, 2009.
- "Brand Ambassador of the NGO, Kidney Citizen".
|This biographical article relating to bodybuilding is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|