Mahajan is an Indian title and a surname. "Mahajan" is literally means great people. Mahajan surname is used by khatri caste ( shatriya ) and in some places by vaishya caste ( baniya ) in north india. In Maharastra Mahajan surname is used by brahmins like Pramod mahajan .
The word "Mahajan" is an amalgam of two Sanskrit words: Maha meaning great, and Jan meaning people or individuals. As a generic title, the term Mahajan is used to denote people involved in money lending.
Notable people with the surname Mahajan include:
- Mehr Chand Mahajan, former Chief Justice of India and former Prime Minister of Kashmir
- Pramod Mahajan, a prominent Indian Politician
- Sumitra Mahajan, a prominent Indian Politician Who is the speaker of the 16th Lok Sabha
- Nikhil Mahajan, an Indian film director who has directed the Marathi films, Pune 52 and Baji.
- Rahul Mahajan, an Indian Reality tv star, son of Pramod Mahajan
- Manohar Mahajan, an announcer associated with Radio Ceylon
- Rahul Mahajan, an American blogger
|This page lists people with the surname Mahajan. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|