Mahalina

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mahalina
Mahalina is located in Madagascar
Mahalina
Mahalina
Location in Madagascar
Coordinates: 12°32′S 48°49′E / 12.533°S 48.817°E / -12.533; 48.817
Country  Madagascar
Region Diana
District Antsiranana II
Elevation[1] 32 m (105 ft)
Population (2001)[2]
 • Total 2,217
Time zone EAT (UTC3)

Mahalina is a municipality (French: commune, Malagasy: kaominina) in Madagascar. It belongs to the district of Antsiranana II, which is a part of Diana Region. According to 2001 census the population of Mahalina was 2,217.[2]

The majority 95% of the population are farmers. The most important crop is rice, while other important products are banana and coconut. Fishing employs the rest 5% of the population.[2]

References and notes[edit]

  1. ^ Estimated based on DEM data from Shuttle Radar Topography Mission
  2. ^ a b c "ILO census data". Cornell University. 2002. Retrieved 2008-02-13. 

Coordinates: 12°32′S 48°49′E / 12.533°S 48.817°E / -12.533; 48.817