|Industry||Metals and Mining|
|Headquarters||Sambalpur, Odisha, India|
|Anil Kumar Jha
(Chairman & MD)
|Owner||Government of India|
Number of employees
|22,397 (1st April-2016)|
Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL) is one of the major coal producing company of India. It is one of the eight subsidiaries of Coal India Limited. Mahanadi Coalfields Limited was carved out of South Eastern Coalfields Limited in 1992 with its headquarters at Sambalpur. It has its coal mines spread across Odisha It has total seven open cast mines and three underground mines under its fold.
There are 45 sanctioned mining projects in MCL with a capacity of 190.83 Mty of coal. The total capital outlay of 45 projects is ₹6,076.78 crore (US$940 million) & out of which 28 with a total capacity of 73.98 Mty have been completed by April 01st, 2009 with a sanctioned capital investment of ₹2,348.61 crore (US$360 million). Out of the 28 completed projects, 2 have been exhausted (Balanda OCP & Basundhara-East OCP). One Expn. Project, namely, Lajkura Expn. (2.50 Mty, 1.50 Mty incr.) is going to be approved within a short period of time.
Approval of Garjanbahal OCP (10.00 Mty) has been stalled temporarily due to delay in getting Forestry clearance. Seventeen ongoing projects i.e. Kulda OCP (10.00 Mty), Bhubaneswari OCP (20.00 Mty), Kaniha OCP (10.00 Mty), Bharatpur Expn. Ph.-III (9.00 Mty Incr.), Balaram OC Extn. (8.00 Mty), Ananta Expn. Ph.-III (3.00 Mty Incr.), Lakhanpur Expn. Ph.-III (5.00 Mty Incr.), Hingula Expn. Ph.-III (7.00 Mty Incr.), Talcher West) UG (0.52 Mty), Natraj U/G (0.64 Mty), Jagannath U/G (0.67 Mty), Bharatpur OC Expn. Ph-II (6.00 Mty Incr.), Lakhanpur Expn. (5.00 Mty Incr.), HBI UG Aug. (0.42 Mty), Basundhara (W) Expn. (4.60 Mty Incr.) and two JV projects Gopalprasad OCP (15.00 Mty), Talabira OCP (20.00 Mty) with a capital investment of ₹3,728.17 crore (US$580 million) are under implementation.
- Mahanadi Coalfields Limited MCL
- Eight subsidiaries of Coal India Limited International directory of company histories, Volume 44 by Thomas Derdak, Tina Grant
- Mahanadi coal fields Ltd. was created in 1992 having jurisdiction over Talcher & Ib valley coal fields. t present there are 7 nos. of opencast mines and 3 nos. of underground mines in operation with a manpower of 10,220.
- Mining, challenges of the 21st century By Ajoy K. Ghose, Institution of Engineers (India)
- MJSJ Coal Ltd. s JV with Mahanadi Coalfields Ltd. & Jindals
- The JV company with MCL and Hindalco Ltd for mining coal from Talabira blocks has been incorporated in the name of MNH Shakti Ltd. Both NLC and Hindalco will hold 15 per cent stake each while MCL will hold 70 per cent in this company.
- "BIOPROFILE OF PROJECTS". www.mcl.gov.in. Retrieved 5 July 2016.