Maharaj Kishan Bhan
Maharaj Kishan Bhan
M. K. Bhan addressing a Press Conference to apprise on the two significant R&D results emanating from DBT support, in New Delhi on May 31, 2012.
|Born||9 November 1947|
|Alma mater||Armed Forces Medical College, Pune and Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research|
|Institutions||Department of Biotechnology|
Maharaj Kishan Bhan is an Indian pediatrician and clinical scientist. He has M.B.B.S. Degree (1969) from Armed Forces Medical College, Pune and M.D. Degree from Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh. He has carried out extensive post doctoral research at All India Institute of Medical Sciences in the areas of diarrheal diseases and child nutrition with an emphasis on public health issues. He is currently the president of the Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER).
He is known for developing Rota Viral Vaccine in collaboration with Bharat Biotech International. He was positioned as Secretary, Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, until 2012. Dr. Bhan conceived the newly formed BIRAC, which is expected to result in product development by industry in collaboration with academia. This initiative is to boost product development in the country. For this Dr. Bhan was actively assisted by Drs. Renu Swarup & Ravi Dhar from BIRAC. Besides, these certain luminaries of Indian science like Prof. Padmanabhan, Dr. Chauhan, Prof. Tandon and several others were constantly advising BIRAC. An elected fellow of the National Academy of Medical Sciences, he was awarded in 1990 the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, the highest science award in India, in the Medical Sciences category. He holds honorary Doctor of Science and is responsible for policy formulation and is Member of the Jury for nearly all major national science awards awarded by the Government of India.
Prizes and honours
- Genome Valley Excellence Award — BIO ASIA (2013)
- Padmabhushan for civil services - 2013.
- Pollin Prize for Pediatric Research - 2003
- Biotech Product and Process Development and Commercialization Award - 2003
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology - 1990
- National Ranbaxy Award - 1990
- S.S. Mishra Award of the National Academy of Medical Sciences - 1986
- ST Achar Gold Medal of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics - 1984
- "Maharaj Kishan Bhan Aims For a New Bio Culture". Forbes. 4 May 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "President, JIPMER".
- "Shaping Technologies into Real Life Programs". Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "List of Fellows — NAMS" (PDF). National Academy of Medical Sciences. 2016. Retrieved 19 March 2016.
- "Full list of winners of the Shanti Swaroop Prize". Archived from the original on 28 October 2011. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "Speakers Bios". Indian Medtech Summit. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Padma Bhushan Dr MK Bhan to get Genome Valley Excellence Award today - BioSpectrum Asia
- "Padma Awards Announced". Ministry of Home Affairs (India). 25 January 2013. Retrieved 25 January 2013.