|District of Uttar Pradesh|
Location of Maharajganj district in Uttar Pradesh
|Headquarters||Mahrajganj, Uttar Pradesh|
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Maharajganj|
|• Total||2,934.1 km2 (1,132.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||910/km2 (2,400/sq mi)|
|• Literacy||64.3 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||938|
Maharajganj district (Hindi: महाराजगंज जिला) is one of the 75 districts of Uttar Pradesh state in northern India, and the town of Maharajganj is the district headquarters. Famous places in Maharajganj are Mogalaha Sharif, Dargah Hare Bhare Shah Baba.
Maharajganj district is bounded by Nepal in the north, the districts of Kushinagar in the east, Gorakhpur to the south and Siddharthnagar and Sant Kabir Nagar in the west. It is part of Gorakhpur Division. The district covers an area of 2,951 km². It has a population of 2,173,878 (2001 Census).
The district was carved out from the erstwhile Gorakhpur district on 2 October 1989.
In 2006 the Ministry of Panchayati Raj named Maharajganj one of the country's 250 most backward districts (out of a total of 640). It is one of the 34 districts in Uttar Pradesh currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
Maharajganj district comprises 4 tehsils:
- Maharajganj Sadar; 4 community development blocks: Maharajganj, Ghughali, Paniara and Partawal.
- Nautanwa; comprising 2 community development blocks: Ratanpur and Laxmipur.
- Nichlaul; 3 community development blocks: Nichlaul, Mithaura and Siswa.
- Pharenda; 3 community development blocks: Bridgmanganj, Dhani and Pheranda.
There are 1258 villages in the district and 14 police stations.
List of Police Stations in Maharajganj
- Pharenda (Anand Nagar)
- Kothibhar(Siswa Bazar)
- Thuthibari Kotwali
- Sonauli Kotwali
- kotwali sadar
According to the 2011 census Maharajganj district has a population of 2,665,292, roughly equal to the nation of Kuwait or the US state of Nevada. This gives it a ranking of 151st in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 903 inhabitants per square kilometre (2,340/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 22.61%. Maharajganj has a sex ratio of 938 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 64.3%.
- "Uttar Pradesh". india,gov,in website. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (8 September 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Retrieved 27 September 2011.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
||Western Development Region, Nepal||Pashchim Champaran district, Bihar|
|Gorakhpur district||Kushinagar district|