Logo of Maharashtra Police
(Sanskrit:"To protect good and to Punish evil")
|Employees||Superintendents of Police: 282
Deputy Superintendents: 523
Police Inspectors: 3522
Assistant Police Inspectors: 3123
Sub Inspectors: 6230
|Legal personality||Governmental: Government agency|
|Operations jurisdiction*||State of Maharashtra, IN|
|Map of Maharashtra Police Department's jurisdiction|
|Governing body||Government of Maharashtra|
|Elected officer responsible||Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister|
|Agency executive||Satish Mathur, Director General of Police, Maharashtra State|
|* Divisional agency: Division of the country, over which the agency has usual operational jurisdiction.|
It has one of the largest police forces in the country, having about 35 district police units in the state. The Maharashtra Police force has a strength of nearly 1.95 lakh. It also has 1.5 lakh women in its force.
Following are the special units of the Maharashtra Police.
- State Intelligence Department (S.I.D.): It came into existence in 1905 as C.I.D. (Intelligence Wing) and was renamed to its current name in 1981. It is headed by Commissioner of Intelligence.
- Maharashtra State C.I.D.: This Crime Branch was established in 1905 and is headquartered in Pune. It is headed by the Additional Director General Police.
- Anti-Terrorism Squad (A.T.S.): This unit was created by the Government of Maharashtra in 2004 for countering terrorism. It works in coordination with Central Agencies such as Intelligence Bureau and RAW.
- Highway Traffic Police: This branch was created in 1993.
- State Reserve Police Force (S.R.P.F.): The SRPF was raised on 6 March 1948 as a Special Armed Police Force of the State of Maharashtra.
- Training Directorate
- Protection of Civil Rights Cell
- Motor Transport Unit: This was established in 1948 to cater to the needs of mobility of Maharashtra Police.
- State Police Wireless : Established before 1947.
- Anti-Corruption Bureau: The ACB was constituted in 1957 with a view to eradicate the bribery and corruption in the state.
- Force One : Force One is an elite commando force, which is a specialised counter terrorism unit to guard the Mumbai metropolitan area, one of the largest metropolitan areas in the world.
- QRT : QUICK RESPONSE TEAM.
Mumbai is vulnerable to attacks from terrorists and underworld elements. There was a need for a highly trained, motivated, young, fit and fully equipped team to tackle such groups and to terminate hostage situations. This team responds in the shortest time, moves by fastest means, takes action to collect tactical information and neutralizes the threat. They rescue hostages, render assistance to Central forces and other State forces on Government duty.
Latur police web site developed by InstantSofteh IT solutions visit Now