Maharashtra State Electricity Board
|Industry||Electricity Generation, Electricity Transmission, Electricity Distribution|
|Founded||June 20, 1960|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Parent||Government Of Maharashtra|
Maharashtra State Electricity Board (or MSEB) is a state-owned electricity regulation board operating within the state of Maharashtra in India. The MSEB was formed on 20 June 1960 under Section 5 of the Electricity (Supply) Act, 1948. In 1998 it was the second largest electricity generating utility in India after National Thermal Power Corporation.
The company's predecessor was the Bombay Electricity Board which was formed on 6 November 1954 and operated up to 31 March 1957 when it was renamed to Bombay State Electricity Board which operated until 19 June 1960. The result of a collaboration between the MSEB and Enron was the Ratnagiri power plant.
In accordance with Electricity Act 2003 of the Government of India,  the Maharashtra State Electricity Board was restructured into 4 companies in 2005. These companies were registered with Company Registrar in Mumbai on 31 May 2005 as follows:
- MSEB Holding Company Limited.
- Maharashtra State Power Generation Company Limited, Mahanirmiti or Mahagenco, MSPGCL.
- Maharashtra State Electricity Transmission Company Limited, Mahapareshan or Mahatransco, MSETCL.
- Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited, Mahavitaran or Mahadiscom, MSEDCL.
Mahavitaran−MSEDCL is responsible for distribution of electricity throughout the state by buying power from either Mahanirmiti−MSPGCL power plants, or from other state electricity boards and private sector power generation companies.
The holding company entity, MSEB Holding Company Limited, holds all the stake in the other three companies.
Capacity & non-renewable resources
- (Maharashtra State Govt.vide G.R.No. ELA-1003/P.K.8588/Bhag-2/Urja-5 Dated 24-01-2005)
- "Power demand-supply position of the state of Maharashtra". Green Clean Guide. Green Clean Guide. 27 November 2012. Archived from the original on 31 March 2014.
- Maharashtra State Electricity Board
- M.S.E.B. Holding Co.Ltd
- Maharashtra State Generation Co. Ltd
- Maharashtra State Transmission Co. Ltd
- Maharashtra State Distribution Co. Ltd