Maharshi Dayanand University
|Motto||Vidya Vindate Amritam|
Motto in English
|Knowledge is Immortal|
|Chancellor||Governor of Haryana|
|Colours||Fire Brick, White and Lime Green|
Maharshi Dayanand University (M.D. University) is a university in Rohtak, Haryana, India. It is accredited with an 'A+' grade by NAAC. Established in 1976 and named after the saint Dayananda Saraswati, the university offers courses in a number of fields of study at the undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral levels. Besides offering courses on campus & Distance mode, it is a collegiate university which provides programs through colleges, institutes and centers throughout the region.
The university was established as Rohtak University in 1976 following the passing of Act No. 25 of 1975 of the Haryana Legislative Assembly (voted on in 1976), with the objective of promoting interdisciplinary higher education and research in the fields of environmental, ecological and life sciences. It was renamed Maharshi Dayanand University in 1977 after the visionary and social reformer, Maharshi Dayanand. It had a unitary and residential character in its nascent stage but became an affiliating university in November 1978. The university secured the recognition of the University Grants Commission in February 1983.
From its original objective of studies in the life sciences, the university has grown to 13 faculties, with 27 postgraduate departments and 77 academic programs on campus. There are 66 boards of studies for developing and designing courses. In addition to the main campus, the university has a satellite campus at the University Institute of Law & Management Studies at Gurgaon.
The university is about 75 kilometres (47 mi) from Delhi on the Delhi-Hisar National Highway (NH-9) and about 240 kilometres (150 mi) from Chandigarh, the state capital. Rohtak is the educational hub of the state; the university also administers programmes through its Indira Gandhi P.G. Regional Centre, Meerpur (Rewari) and the University Institute of Law and Management Studies (ULIMS), Gurgaon. The Regional Centre offers nine postgraduate programmes, and UILMS offers two. Near Post office IIM Rohtak is also currently functioning in MDU Campus.According to the MOU signed between IIM Rohtak and MDU, the students and staff of IIM Rohtak will have access to almost all the infrastructure of the university. The University Campus has a robust state-of-the-art Campus Wide Network. It is wrapped around OFC and Wi-Fi technologies. All the departments/offices/hostels are linked to the Campus Network. The University has a Computer Centre for the benefit of students, research scholars, teachers and other staff. The Computer Centre conducts computer awareness programmes for the staff from time to time, and facilitates analysis of research data of the research scholars. Besides the central facility, majority of the departments have their own computer labs.univerty provide good drinking water facility.
The university library system comprises a central library (the Vivekananda Library) seven satellite libraries in management, law, engineering, mathematics, hotel management and departmental libraries in the departments of sociology and history. The Vivekananda Library is centrally located, a five-minute walk from all departments and dormitories. The library is housed in a three-story building with an 84,000-square-foot (7,800 m2) area and a seating capacity of 800. It is open seven days a week, and a reading hall (with a seating capacity of about 250) is open around the clock. The library is air-conditioned, with comfortable seating. All library functions (check-out, check-in, catalog and acquisition system) are automated, and information kiosks are present for accessing the online catalog and other library databases. The library has over 2,50,000 volumes of books and 50,000 bound volumes of journals; it subscribes to 540 Indian and foreign print journals. Online access is provided to 5300 e-journals through a user-generated content facility, over 200 open-access e-journals, Scopus, e-Emeralds Plus (a full-text database of management journals from Emerald Group Publishing) and Manupatra. The university invests over Rs. 200 lakhs annually on the enrichment of its knowledge base, in addition to infrastructure upgrades. The library also maintains a campus-wide, IP-based phone system and the university website; it offers distance B.L.I.Sc. and M.L.I.Sc. courses as part of the Directorate of Distance Education.
MDU offers an undergraduate engineering programs that awards a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) or Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) degree. The university also offers postgraduate programs that lead to Master of Technology (M.Tech), Master of Science (MSc) by research, Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Computer Applications (MCA) and doctorate (Ph.D). The MSc and PhD are research degrees while the rest are taught degrees.
|University and college rankings|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2019)||122|
|NIRF (Universities) (2019)||90|
The Directorate of Sports has produced many nationally and internationally ranked sportspeople, including seven Arjuna and five Bhim Awardees. The university has a modern gymnasium (four standard size badminton courts can work simultaneously), an international-standard swimming pool, a squash court, boxing ring, wrestling hall, tennis and basketball courts, and a complex of playing fields. A synthetic athletics track and artificial-turf field hockey ground are planned. The Directorate hosts about 60 intercollegiate tournaments for men and women players from affiliated colleges, organizes coaching camps for its students and sends teams to intercollegiate tournaments and national games.
As a collegiate university, MDU has 126 institutions and colleges under its banner with a total enrollment of about 170,000 students. It has a number of engineering colleges, management institutes, and pharmacy colleges. On campus is a Directorate of Distance Education, with an enrollment of over 50,000 students in 24 professional and academic courses. The university has endowed six chairs to conduct research on the lives and contributions of eminent Indians.
- Faculty of Commerce
- Faculty of Education
- University Institute of Engineering & Technology
- Faculty of Humanities
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Life Sciences
- Faculty of Management Science
- Faculty of Performing and Visual Arts
- Faculty of Pharmaceutical Science
- Faculty of Physical Science
- Faculty of Social Science
- University Institute of Law and Management Studies, Gurgaon
- University Have a Hotel Management And Tourism Department
- University has flexible BEd course.
The Faculty of Medicine is now a separate university (the B. D. Sharma University of Health Sciences).
- Agriculture Biotechnology
- Business Economics
- Centre for Haryana Studies
- Computer Science
- Defence & Strategic Studies
- Engineering and Technology (UIET)
- English and Foreign Languages
- Environment Sciences
- Fine Arts
- Food Technology
- Information Technology
- Journalism and Mass Communications
- Library & Info. Science
- Medical Biotechnology
- Music & Theater
- Physical Education
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Plant Biotechnology
- Political Science
- Public Administrations
- Sports Science
- Hotel& Tourism Management
- Urban & Rural Studies
The university emphasizes student welfare and has a directorate for this purpose. The directorate is housed in the student activity centre, equipped with a bookshop, a cyber café for internet surfing, a cafeteria, a conference hall with internet connectivity and separate common rooms for men and women with newspapers, magazines, and indoor games.
It organizes activities in the arts and culture. The directorate shares the expenses of educational tours organized by teaching departments. Bus and railway passes are facilitated for students. Camps and adventure courses such as trekking, youth leadership training camps, rock climbing, snow skiing, a values-based spiritual course and a personality development camp are organized.
Six zonal youth festivals and one inter-zonal youth festival (consisting of 40 events in music, dance, theatre, literary, fine arts and culture) are organized during an academic year. A techno-management fest, designed for students in engineering, management, and other technical fields, is also organized in the Tagore Auditorium. The university has a holiday home and youth centre at Dhanachulli, Nainital district.The MDU results declare after every six months.
- Har Sarup Chahal, former Vice-Chancellor
- A. S. Dalal, professor of law
- K. P. S. Mahalwar, former Dean of the Department of Law
- Prithipal Singh Maini, Emeritus Professor of medicine
- Bijender Kumar Punia, Vice-Chancellor since 2016
- Sunil Dabas, coach of national female Kabbadi team
- Bhavna Gaur, politician in the Legislative Assembly of Delhi
- Jawahar Lal Kaul, professor of law at the University of Delhi
- Vijender Kumar, law professor
- Sakshi Malik, Olympic wrestler
- Balendu Prakash, Ayurvedic physician
- Sukhda Pritam, Judicial Magistrate
- V. S. Sangwan, ophthalmologist, Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar laureate
- Bimla Singh Solanki, politician in the Legislative Assembly of India
- Surya Kant, former Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court and Sitting Judge of Supreme Court
- Ela Mishra, scholar and social activist. Author of Reshmi Rumaal Sharyantra.
- About MDU
- Staff (25 April 2013). "University Status Awarded to Indira Gandhi Regional Center in Rewari". Hindustan Times.
- "37th Meeting of the Standing Committee (28th March 2019) List of Institutions Recommended For Accreditation by NAAC" (PDF). National Assessment and Accreditation Council. 28 March 2019. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- Dr. Ela Mishra. Reshmi Rumaal Sharyantra (in Hindi). Manak Publications and Jamiat Ulema-e-Hind.