Mahasin mosque attack
|Location||Mahasin, Easter Province, Saudi Arabia|
|Date||29 January 2016|
|Target||Shia Imam Rida mosque|
|Deaths||4 (not including the perpetrator)|
|Perpetrators||Abdulraham Abdullah Suleiman al-Tuwaijiri and Talha Hisham Mohammed Abda|
No. of participants
The Hofuf attack occurred on 29 January 2016 during Friday prayers at Al-Ridha mosque in the Mahasin district of Al Hofuf, Eastern Province, Saudi Arabia. The attack left four people plus the attacker dead and 18 others injured. The attack consisted of a shooting and suicide bombing and was allegedly directed by ISIL.
The two attackers, Abdurrahman Abdullah Suleiman al-Tuwaijiri (22-year old Saudi citizen) and Talha Hisham Mohammed Abda (Egyptian national), attempted to detonate themselves during Friday prayers at the mosque. Whilst Abdurrahman successfully blew himself up, Talha failed and he was arrested after the attacks.
- List of terrorist incidents in Saudi Arabia
- List of terrorist incidents, January–June 2016
- List of terrorist incidents linked to ISIL
- "4 people die in Hofuf attack". Reuters. 29 January 2016. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "Deadly attack rocks mosque in Saudi Arabia". Al Jazeera.
- "Attack on Al-Ahsa mosque leaves several dead". Arab News.
- "Deadly attack hits mosque in eastern Saudi Arabia". Al Arabiya.
- "Saudi reveals identity of second would-be suicide bomber in Al-Ahsa". Al Arabiya.