Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Technology
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Motto||Knowledge is Power|
|Type||Higher education and research institution|
|Chairman||Vastushilpi Dr. B.N. Reddy|
|Principal||Dr. G. Chandramohan Reddy|
|Location||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
|Campus||Urban, 30 acres (120,000 m2) of land|
Mahatma Gandhi Institute of Technology (or MGIT) is a technological institution located in Gandipet, Hyderabad, Telangana, India. It was started in 1997 by the Chaitanya Bharathi Educational Society (CBES), Hyderabad, registered under the Societies Registration Act. The annual intake is 900 students in undergraduate level and 108 students in postgraduate level. The institute is affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Hyderabad (JNTUH) and offers the four-year Bachelor of Technology, in eight disciplines and two-year Master of Technology, in six disciplines prescribed by JNTU. The college is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation and is ISO 9001:2000 certified.
- MGIT ranks #49 among the "Top Engineering Colleges of Excellence in India" according to Competition Success Review's CSR-GHRDC Engineering Colleges Survey 2012 (http://ghrdc.org/pdfs/3%20EnggOverall_Result2012.pdf).
- MGIT ranks #95 among the "Top Engineering Colleges in India" according to The Week (Indian magazine) (http://news.mgit.ac.in/wp-content/uploads/top100enggcolleges.pdf).
- MGIT ranks #32 among the "Top Engineering Colleges in South India" according to Deccan Chronicle (http://news.mgit.ac.in/wp-content/uploads/mgitdcpaper.pdf).
- Also has excellent ratings in surveys conducted by Careers 360(http://news.mgit.ac.in/wp-content/uploads/mgitcareers360.pdf), Sakshi etc.
- Chairman – Vastushilpi Dr. B. N. Reddy
- Board Secretary – Mr. D. Kamalakar Reddy
- Principal – Dr. G. Chandra Mohan Reddy
The institute offers a four-year bachelor's degree Bachelor of Technology, in eight disciplines:
- Computer Science Engineering (CSE).
- Information Technology (IT).
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering (EEE).
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE).
- Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics) (MCT).
- Metallurgy and Materials Engineering (MME).
- Civil Engineering (CE).
- Mechanical Engineering(MECH)(From academic year 2012–2013)
The institute offers a two-year master's degree Master of Technology, in four departments:
- Mechatronics (MCT).
- Computer Networks & Information Security (CSE).
- Digital Electronics & Communication Engineering(ECE)(From academic year 2012–2013)
- Power Electronics & Electrical Drives(EEE)(From academic year 2012–2013)
- Computer Aided Structural Engineering.
- Software Engineering.
Every semester has a minimum of eight courses, which includes a minimum of two laboratory courses. Students are required to attain a total of 216 of the possible 224 credits and attend the institute for duration of not less than four years and not more than eight years to be considered for the award of the degree. The institute follows JNTU’s attendance regulation, which requires students to put in a minimum class attendance of 65% to progress to the next semester. External (university) exams are held every semester in the campus and consolidated results in all these exams count towards the final aggregate grading.
The minimum criterion for admission is 60% marks in the Intermediate/10+2 Examination. Students are admitted primarily based on their ranks in the Engineering Agricultural and Medical Common Entrance Test EAMCET, held by the JNTUH every year.It also takes lateral entry admissions based on ECET ranks.
The institute has nine departments:
- Department of Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics)
- Department of Metallurgy and Materials Technology
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Mathematics and Humanities
- Department of Physics and Chemistry
- Department of Physical Education
- Department of Civil Engineering (started in 2010)
- Mechanical Engineering(MECH) (from academic year 2012–2013)
Nirvana is organized by MGIT in March every year. It started in 2004. Musicians and DJs are invited to perform at the show.
- 2005 – Zero (Indian band) and Pin Drop Violence
- 2006 – Strings (band)
- 2007 – Prayag – Rock Band
- 2008 – Pritam
- 2009 – Motherjane and Junkyard Groove
- 2010 – Krishnakumar Kunnath
- 2011 – Ryan Beck (DJ)
- 2014 – Mika Singh official website nirvana 2014
- 2015 – Sravana Bhargavi
- 2016 - Sundeep Kishan
MAGISTECH is an event organized by ISTE Students’ Chapter-MGIT which is held annually on 15 and 16 September. The event provides a platform for the engineering students to interact and share their ideas with the other students across the country. The themes of paper presentation competition cover the entire spectrum of engineering and technology. Other major events include the Robotics competition and Tantra (a design competition in which a problem statement is given). This event is conducted as part of the celebrations of Engineers’ Day, the birth day of "Bharath Ratna Sir Mokshgundam Visvesvaraya" .
'QUBIT' is the annual technical fest of the Department of Computer Science. It is a prestigious technological event in the state with papers presented from all over the country. It has risen beyond its technical reach and incorporated cultural aspects with the introduction of Lan-Gaming, Treasure Hunts, Fun Stalls etc. giving it an all round reach. It is organised during the month of March right from the year of its inception without fail. It is a technical symposium for young minds and meeting ground for tech-enthusiasts from around the country.
'MICROCOSM' is the annual technical fest of Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering.
'POTENZIA' is the annual technical fest of Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
'TECHNOVATION' is the annual technical fest of Department of Mechanical Engineering (Mechatronics).
'YUKTI' is the annual technical fest of Department of Information Technology.
'METALLON' is the annual technical fest of Department of Metallurgy and Materials Technology.
'CINFRA' is the annual technical fest of Department of Civil Engineering.