Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
|Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park (M.G.M.N.P)|
|Location||Andaman Islands, India|
|Area||281.5 km2 (108.7 sq mi)|
|Nickname: North Mahatma Gandhi Islands|
Location of Labyrinth Islands
|Location||Bay of Bengal|
|Adjacent bodies of water||Indian Ocean|
|Area||29.043 km2 (11.214 sq mi)land area|
|Highest elevation||78 m (256 ft)|
|Highest point||mount Tarmugli|
|Island group||Andaman Islands|
|Island sub-group||Rutland Archipelago|
|Tehsil||Port Blair Tehsil|
Jolly Buoy Beach
|Pop. density||0.00 /km2 (0 /sq mi)|
|Ethnic groups||Hindu, Andamanese|
|Telephone code||031927 |
|Official Languages||Hindi, English|
Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park is a national park of India near Wandoor on the Andaman Islands. It belongs to the South Andaman administrative district, part of the Indian union territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
The park was created 24 May 1983 under the Wildlife Protection Act of 1972 to protect marine life such as the corals and nesting sea turtles prevalent in the area. It was placed under the protection of the Chief Wildlife Warden of the forest department of the Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
There are 2 major island groups in the park: the Labyrinth Islands and the Twin Islands The islands are situated 16 km (10 mi) south from Port Blair. The marine park covers 281.5 km² made up of 17 islands and the open sea creeks running through the area. There is a chance for ecotourism on the islands Jolly Buoy and Red Skin  The islands belongs to the Rutland Archipelago and are located between Rutland Island and South Andaman Island.
Most of the coral reefs in the park are fringing reefs. The type and composition of vegetation varies from island to island. Most notably there you can see a difference between the tourist islands which suffer more anthropocentric change and others which do not. There are also some islands more isolated or protected from the effects of weather in the Bay of Bengal. Tarmugli, the largest island, is covered with thick mangrove vegetation, sand covered beaches, uprooted trees and sheet rocks. Twin Islands are an important breeding ground for turtles within the park.
List of Islands
Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park has some 20 islands and rocks.
|Coastline (km)||Length (km)||Width (km)||elevation (m)|
|Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park Islands||Archipelago||2904.5||0.00|
The islands are on uninhabited land, but there is a population of 7300 living in 10 adjacent villages (Mainly Manglutan and Wandur)
- "Sailing Directions (enroute) | India and the Bay of Bengal" (PDF) (173). National Geospatial-intelligence Agency, United States Government. 2014. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "A&N Islands - Pincodes". 22 September 2016. Retrieved 22 September 2016.
- "STD Codes of Andaman and Nicobar". allcodesindia.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
- "Village Code Directory: Andaman & Nicobar Islands" (PDF). Census of India. Retrieved 2011-01-16.
- Jolly Buoy info
- red skin island
- "DEMOGRAPHIC – A&N ISLANDS" (PDF). andssw1.and.nic.in. Retrieved 2016-09-23.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park.|
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands travel guide from Wikivoyage
- The Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
- 11 Status of Coral Reefs of Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Wandoor, Andamans by K Dorairaj and R. Soundararajan