مهذر بن خالد
|Minister of Education|
29 July 2015 – 10 May 2018
|Prime Minister||Najib Razak|
|Deputy||Chong Sin Woon|
|Preceded by||Muhyiddin Yassin|
|Succeeded by||Maszlee Malik|
|9th Menteri Besar of Kedah|
28 December 2005 – 9 March 2008
|Preceded by||Syed Razak Syed Zain Barakhbah|
|Succeeded by||Azizan Abdul Razak|
|Deputy Minister of Energy, Green Technology and Water|
16 May 2013 – 29 July 2015
|Prime Minister||Najib Razak|
|Preceded by||Noriah Kasnon|
|Succeeded by||James Dawos Mamit|
|Member of the Malaysian Parliament|
for Padang Terap
|Assumed office |
16 May 2013
|Preceded by||Mohd Nasir Zakaria (PAS)|
|Member of the Kedah State Legislative Assembly|
|Preceded by||Wan Jaafar Wan Ahmad (PAS)|
|Succeeded by||Kama Noriah Ibrahim (UMNO–BN)|
Mahdzir bin Khalid
15 December 1960
Alor Star, Kedah, Federation of Malaya (now Malaysia)
|Political party||United Malays National Organisation (UMNO)|
|Barisan Nasional (BN)|
|Mahdzir Khalid on Parliament of Malaysia|
Dato' Seri Mahdzir bin Khalid (Jawi: مهذر بن خالد; born 15 December 1960) is a Malaysian politician. He is a member of the United Malays National Organisation (UMNO) party in Malaysia's opposition Barisan Nasional (BN) coalition. He is also the Member of Parliament of Malaysia for the seat of Padang Terap, Kedah, having been elected in the 2013 general elections.
Mahdzir had served as Minister of Education of Malaysia from 2015 until 2018 when BN lost control of the federal government. He was formerly Deputy Minister of Energy, Green Technology and Water from 2013 to 2015. Previously, he served as the ninth Menteri Besar of Kedah from 2005 to 2008 and represented the seat of Pedu in the Kedah State Legislative Assembly from 2004 to 2013.
Mahdzir started his political career as a staffer and in 1999 became the political secretary to Deputy Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi. In 2004 he was elected to the Kedah State Legislative Assembly for the rural seat of Pedu. In December 2005 he became the state's Chief Minister after his predecessor, Syed Razak Syed Zain Barakhbah, resigned because of ill health. Mahdzir had been acting in the position since July 2005.
Mahdzir's tenure as Menteri Besar came to an end after his BN Kedah state government was defeated in the 2008 election by the Pakatan Rakyat (PR) opposition coalition led by the Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party (PAS). Mahdzir became Barisan Nasional's opposition leader in the state assembly before moving to federal parliament in the 2013 election, winning the seat of Padang Terap from PAS. After the election he was appointed as Deputy Minister for Energy, Green Technology and Water in the government of Prime Minister Najib Razak.
|2004||Mahdzir Khalid (UMNO)||7,684||56.26%||Wan Jaafar Wan Ahmad (PAS)||5,785||42.36%||13,657||1,899||87.29%|
|2008||Mahdzir Khalid (UMNO)||8,780||57.76%||Zamri Yusuf (PKR)||6,047||39.78%||15,200||2,733||87.53%|
|2013||Mahdzir Khalid (UMNO)||20,654||55.66%||Mohd Nasir Zakaria (PAS)||16,202||43.69%||37,904||4,442||90.33%|
|2018||Mahdzir Khalid (UMNO)||16,384||42.09%||Khairizal Khazali (AMANAH)||7,254||18.64%||38,923||1,099||85.61%|
|Mohd Azam Abd Aziz (PAS)||15,285||39.27%|
- Kedah :
- Knight Grand Companion of the Order of Loyalty to the Royal House of Kedah (SSDK) - Dato' Seri (2006)
- Grand Commander of the Order of Loyalty to Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah (SHMS) - Dato' Seri (2008)
- Perak :
- Habibu, Sira (24 December 2005). "Sultan consents to Mahdzir as Kedah Mentri Besar". The Star. Retrieved 12 May 2013.
- "Mahdzir takes over as new Kedah Menteri Besar". Daily Express (Malaysia). 23 December 2005. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Waking up to new politics". The Star. Star Publications (Malaysia). 10 March 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "The complete list of Ministers and Deputy Ministers in Najib's new Cabinet". ABN News. 15 May 2013. Archived from the original on 2 November 2014. Retrieved 23 November 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum Parlimen/Dewan Undangan Negeri". Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 11 May 2013. Percentage figures based on total turnout, excluding informal votes.
- "Malaysia General Election". undiinfo Malaysian Election Data. Malaysiakini. Retrieved 11 March 2017. Results only available from the 2004 election.
- "KEPUTUSAN PILIHAN RAYA UMUM 13". Sistem Pengurusan Maklumat Pilihan Raya Umum (in Malay). Election Commission of Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2017.
- "my undi : Kawasan & Calon-Calon PRU13 : Keputusan PRU13 (Archived copy)". www.myundi.com.my. Archived from the original on 30 March 2014. Retrieved 9 April 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Keputusan Pilihan Raya Umum ke-13". Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "2006 Sultan of Kedah honour's list". The Star. 24 January 2006. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "Sultanah leads honours list". The Star. 16 July 2008. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- "DPM tops Perak honours list". The Star. 19 April 2003. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
Syed Razak Syed Zain Barakhbah
| Menteri Besar of Kedah
Azizan Abdul Razak
|This Malaysian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Malaysian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Malaysia-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about politics is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|