From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mahendra (Devanagari: महेंद्र) is a Sanskrit compound word deriving from Maha (Highest Position) and Indra Deva (the King of Gods) from Hindu mythology. It has been used in compound royal styles. For a similar derivative, see Mahindra.
History and Politics
- Mahendra or Mahinda – the son of Emperor Ashoka and a promoter of Buddhism
- Mahendravarman I - (Tamil: மகேந்திரவர்மன் 600–630 CE), Pallava king who ruled the Northern regions of what forms present-day Tamil Nadu in India in the early 7th century.
- Mahindu, 10th century Chahamana king of north-western India
- Mahendra of Nepal – king of Nepal from 1955 to 1972
- Mahinda Rajapaksa – President of Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka from 2005 to 2015
- Mahendra Chaudhry – Fijian politician and the leader of the Fiji Labour Party
- Balu Mahendra – director of Tamil films
- Y. Gee. Mahendra – an Indian actor, singer playwright and comedian
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni – Indian cricketer, currently Captain of Indian Cricket Team
- Mahendra Nagamootoo – West Indian cricketer
- Mahendra Sūri – 14th century Jain astronomer
- (Raja) Mahendra Pratap (Singh) –social reformist of India
- Raja Mahendra, royal style; and name