Mahendra Singh Mewar
|Mahendra Singh Mewar|
|Born||24 February 1941|
|Parents||Bhagwat Singh Mewar|
Mahendra Singh Mewar (born 24 February 1941) is an Indian politician and 76th Maharana of the Mewar dynasty who served in the 9th Lok Sabha. He was elected to the Lok Sabha from Chittorgarh with a winning margin of over 190,000 votes. He is the eldest son of then Mewar ruler Bhagwat Singh. Maharana Mahendra Singh ji Mewar has one son, Kunwar Vishvaraj Singh of Udaipur - Mewar, and a daughter, Kanwrani Trivikrama Kumari Jamwal. He graduated from Mayo College, Ajmer where he was a sportsman.
Dispute over Succession
In 1984, Maharana Bhagwat Singh willed his entire property through a trust to younger son Arvind. He not only made Arvind the executor of the will, but also included daughter Yogeshwari Kumari as a trustee. Elder son Mahendra Singh, who had a year before accused his father of wasteful expenditure and sought division of the vast property, was left out.
After the demise of Late Maharana Bhagwat Singh ji Mewar of Udaipur, his elder son, now Maharana Mahendra Singh ji Mewar of Udaipur was recognized as the Head of the Family in a public ceremony ("Tilak") that took place in Udaipur on 19 November 1984.
His younger brother, Shri Arvind Singh Mewar has however has since claimed that he is the Head of the Family. The Estate of Late Maharana Bhagwat Singh ji Mewar of Udaipur has been declared a H.U.F (Hindu United Family - Joint Family) by the Income Tax Tribunal in 1981 and is subject to a partition suit since 1983. Stay orders have been applicable on this Estate since and the activities initiated, expanded, alterations undertaken by Shri Arvind Singh Mewar have been during the pendency of these orders.
Shri Arvind Singh's place of residence is Shikarbadi. On the demise of Late Maharana Bhagwat Singh ji Mewar of Udaipur, and after the "Tilak" ceremony of Maharana Mahendra Singh ji Mewar, parts of the Palace, specifically those in which Late Maharana Bhagwat Singh ji Mewar of Udaipur was residing were sealed by Maharana Mahendra Singh ji Mewar. Against orders of the High Court of Rajasthan, the government / administration handed over these parts to Shri Arvind Singh for which a contempt petition is under adjudication before the Supreme Court of India. Maharana Mahendra Singh ji Mewar has been permitted by the Supreme Court of India to take steps to repossess these parts of the Palace. It is under these circumstances that Shri Arvind Singh has been residing in the City Palace.
During the lifetime of Late Maharana Bhagwat Singh ji Mewar, Maharana Mahendra Singh ji Mewar assisted in the formation of the Maharana Mewar Charitable Foundation, managed the world famous Lake Palace Hotel when it was first recognised as a five star hotel and managed the Garden Hotel, also at Udaipur when it was accorded with a three star status.
The relationship between the two branches of the family have remained tense. While in the international press, Arvind Singh Mewar is generally mentioned as the current head of the family, sometimes locally Mahendra Singh ji Mewar is the one recognized.
- Rohit Parihar, Mewar Muddle, India Today, 2000, http://www.india-today.com/itoday/20000124/states.html
- Divyanshu Trilok Sharma, Royal fete livens up Samor Bagh, http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2009-11-20/jaipur/28101903_1_maharana-silver-jubilee-function-royal, TNN 20 November 2009
- Akhtar Khan, महेंद्रसिंह और लक्ष्यराज के समर्थक भिड़े, http://www.udaipurpost.com/mewar-royal-family-once-again-the-controversy-became-public.html, Udaipur Post, 11 June 2013
- भूपालसिंह की प्रतिमा का अनावरण आज, http://www.bhaskar.com/article/RAJ-UDA-bust-of-bhupalasinh-today-3455738.html, Dainik Bhaskar News Network, 28 June 2012
- महेन्द्रसिंह मेवाड का स्वागत, http://www.bhaskar.com/article/RAJ-OTH-23012-3322957.html Matrix News | 26 May 2012
- बार एसोसिएशन प्रतिनिधिमण्डल ने महाराणा महेन्द्र सिंह से की मुलाकात http://www.khabarindia.tv/udaipur-news-_801.html#.Uk9NU9LktlA, 11 August 2013