|District||South 24 Parganas|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Diamond Harbour|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Maheshtala|
Maheshtala (Bengali:মহেশতলা) is a city and a municipality under Maheshtala, Rabindra Nagar, and (some part of) Metiaburz police stations of Alipore Sadar subdivision in South 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal.
As per 2011 Census of India Maheshtala had a total population of 448,317, of which 229,693 (51%) were males and 218,624 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 46,247. The total number of literates in Maheshtala was 329,813 (82.03% of the population over 6 years).
The following Municipalities and Census Towns in South 24 Parganas district were part of Kolkata Urban Agglomeration in 2011 census: Maheshtala (M), Joka (CT), Balarampur (CT), Chata Kalikapur (CT), Budge Budge (M), Nischintapur (CT), Uttar Raypur (CT), Pujali (M), and Rajpur Sonarpur (M).
As of 2001[update] India census, Maheshtala had a population of 389,214. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Maheshtala has an average literacy rate of 69%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 74%, and female literacy is 63%. In Maheshtala, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
A London-based company has joined hands with a Bengali NRI to develop a mini township known as the Mahestala project as a joint venture with the Maheshtala Municipality, for which 21.22 acres (85,900 m2) have been acquired near Nungi station. There will be 2,240 middle income group flats in 44 buildings. The company will improve the road infrastructure in the area.
- 13A B.B.D. Bagh – Shampa Mirza Nagar
- 13C Old Dakghar – Baghajatin
- 18B/1 Dakghar – China Mandir
- 77A Esplanade - Batanagar
- 77A Esplanade - Birlapur
- 259 Howrah - Akra
Mini Bus lines
- Taratala - Budge Budge
- S22A Dakghar – Salt Lake
- S46 Akra Rabindranagar – Salt Lake
- S47 Howrah Station – Maheshtala Eden City
- S51 Eden City Maheshtala – Garia Bus Stand
- AC49 Eden City Maheshtala - Airport (AC Bus)
The Sealdah South lines are connecting Budge Budge with Sealdah, along with other stations like Santoshpur, Akra, Nungi. It is part of the Kolkata Suburban Railway Budge Budge section and is under the jurisdiction of Eastern Railway zone.
- Sealdah - Budge Budge via Park circus, Ballygunge Jn., Lake gardens, Tollygunge, New Alipore, Majherhat, Brace Bridge, Santoshpur, Akra, Nungi
- "Census of India". District-wise list of stautory towns. Directorate of census operations, West Bengal. Archived from the original on 2007-08-09. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 27 April 2016.
- "Provisional Population Totals, Census of India 2011" (PDF). Constituents of Urban Agglomeration Having Population Above 1 Lakh. Census of India 2011. Retrieved 26 April 2016.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "London-NRI route to mini townships". The Statesman, 18 May 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-09-03.