|XUV 500 By Mahindra|
A Mahindra XUV500 on display at the Santiago Carshow in Chile, 2012.
|Manufacturer||Mahindra & Mahindra|
|Assembly||Chakan, Maharashtra, India
Nashik, Maharashtra, India
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Sport utility vehicle|
|Body style||4-door SUV|
|Engine||2.2 litre mHawk140, direct injection diesel, 5th generation Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)|
|Transmission||6 Speed Manual|
|Wheelbase||2,700 mm (106 in)|
|Length||4,585 mm (181 in)|
|Width||1,890 mm (74 in)|
|Height||1,785 mm (70 in)|
|Kerb weight||1,785 kg (3,935 lb)|
The Mahindra XUV 500 is a mid-size SUV produced by the Indian automobile company Mahindra & Mahindra. The XUV500 was designed and developed at Mahindra's design and vehicle build center in Nashik and Chennai, and is manufactured in Mahindra's Chakan & Nashik plant, India. During its development, the car was code named 'W201'. The company claims that the design is inspired by fastest land animal, the cheetah. It is the first monocoque chassis based vehicle the company has produced.
The XUV 500 was launched in September 2011, and by June 2012 it was available in 19 cities in India. Carefully managed hype surrounding the launch translated into 35,000 XUV500s being sold in the first year, with another 14,000 buyers on a waiting list. To meet the growing demand for the XUV 500, M & M planned to increase the monthly production to 5000 units by Sept-Oct 2012.
Despite being highly popular in India, it is less well known in other countries than is the Mahindra Scorpio. But the XUV500 was relatively popular in the South African market with sales exceeding 1200 units by February 2013.
Mahindra’s XUV 500 secured first place in the 2014 Desert Storm Rally - one of India’s toughest tests for both man and machine. The car also clocked the fastest time in three sections of the rally.
The XUV500 is powered by a 2.2 litre (2179 cc) "mHawk" turbo diesel engine similar to the one in the Mahindra Scorpio. It develops 140 bhp (104 kW; 142 PS) @ 3750 rpm and torque of 330 N·m (243 lb·ft) @1600-2800 rpm and is mated to a new 6-speed manual gearbox developed by Ricardo.
The XUV500 was launched in two versions sharing the same engine; the W6 in two-wheel drive only and the W8 which can be specified in two- or four-wheel drive. The W6 includes a 6-inch monochrome infotainment display, two airbags, ABS with electronic brake-force distribution (EBD), and disc brakes on all wheels. The W8 adds GPS navigation, six airbags, a touch screen, electronic stability program (ESP) with rollover mitigation, Hill Hold and Hill Descent control, alloy wheels, and leather upholstery.
Mahindra XUV500 is also designed for international markets. The company has announced that the SUV will be exported to South Africa, Australia, Chile and Italy under the name CBU. The review intimated that the price of the SUV in foreign countries would be different from the Indian version.
- Wheelbase - 2700 mm
- Overall width - 1890 mm
- Overall length - 4585 mm
- Overall height - 1785 mm
- Ground clearance - 170 mm
- Gross vehicle weight - 2450 kg
The XUV500 can accelerate 0-60 km/h in 5.4 seconds and 0-100 km/h in 10 seconds and reach a top speed of 185 km/h. Its fuel economy is 16 km per litre (as per ARAI test), and 13.8 km per liter in city and has a 70 litre fuel tank.
Mahindra XUV500 received ‘Total Customer Satisfaction Award’ from TNS Automotive. The flagship vehicle from Mahindra received the award for being top ranked in the SUV segment in the largest syndicated automotive study in India conducted by TNS Automotive.
- "Mahindra XUV500 unveiled". Autocar India. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Mahindra unveils XUV 500 in Indore". 7 June 2012.
- "Design Inspiration of the XUV500". XUV500. Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Mahindra XUV 500 launched at a starting price of Rs 10.8 lakh". Economic Times. 29 September 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Mahindra XUV500 review, test drive". Autocar India. 25 October 2011. Retrieved 28 May 2012.
- M&M increases XUV500 production to meet demand News article on XUV500 production increase by Carazoo
- "Mahindra & Mahindra to increase XUV500 output to 5k units a month by September-October". 10 June 2012.
- "Mahindra XUV500 sales cross 1,200 units in South Africa". CarTrade. MXC Solutions India Pvt Ltd. Retrieved 2015-01-06.
- "Mahindra XUV 500's Desert Storm Rally Win". theCARwallpapers. 28 April 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- "Killer price for Mahindra XUV500". Autocar India. 28 September 2011. Retrieved 13 January 2012.
- "Mahindra XUV 500 detailed review".
- "DC Designs XUV 500". theCARwallpapers. 10 September 2012. Retrieved 30 September 2012.
- Venkat Desirazu. "Mahindra XUV500 receives ‘Total Customer Satisfaction Award". Carwale.com. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- Official website
- Mahindra XUV 500 Exclusive Photoshoot
- Mahindra XUV500 launches the innovative Mahindra BLUE SENSE APP