|Village/ rural agglomeration|
|• Official||Bengali, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Tamluk|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Mahisadal|
CD Block HQ
The headquarters of Mahisadal CD Block are located at Rangibasan.
As per 2011 Census of India Rangibasan had a total population of 2,570 of which 1,321 (51%) were males and 1,249 (49%) were females. Population below 6 years was 231. The total number of literates in Rangibasan was 2,134 (91.24% of the population over 6 years).
Mahishadal police station has jurisdiction over Mahishadal CD Block. Mahishadal police station covers an area of 135 km2 with a population of 182,365. The police station is located at Garh Kamalpur mouza.
The Mecheda-Tamluk-Haldia Road passes through Mahishadal.
A businessman from north India, Janardhan Upadhyay Garg, developed a large estate in the 16th century. During the days of Rani Janaki Devi, it reached its zenith in the 18th century. There are two palaces – the old one was built in 1840 and the new one in 1935. One can see stuffed animals, hunting weapons of the 16th and 17th century, paintings and furniture. Gopaljew and Ramjew temples are popular with tourists. The place is half an hours drive from Haldia.
Mahishadal Girls College was established in 1969 with the initiative of Dr. Satyendranath Bhuniya, Rabindranath Singha, Dr. Haridas Sarkar, Gopal Chandra Mondal and others. Affiliated to Vidyasagar University, it offers courses in arts and science.
- Satish Chandra Samanta – Indian independence movement activist.
- Suryakant Tripathi 'Nirala' – one of the most significant poets of modern Hindi literature. He went to school at Mahishadal.
- Geonkhali travel guide from Wikivoyage – information about Mahishadal is included.
- "District Census Handbook: Purba Medinipur" (PDF). Map of Purba Medinipur with CD Block HQs and Police Stations. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal, 2011. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "2011 Census – Primary Census Abstract Data Tables". West Bengal – District-wise. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Purba Medinipur". Tables 2.1, 2.2. Department of Statistics and Programme Implementation, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishdal PS". Purba Medinipur District Police. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- Google maps
- "38089 Howrah-Haldia Local". Time Table. indiarailinfo. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal: A lesser known historical footprint in West Bengal". India Trope. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Surrounding areas". Haldia Tourism and Industrial Development. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahisadal Raj College". Mahishdal Raj College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal Raj College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal Girls’ College". Mahishadal Girls’ College. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Mahishadal Girls’ College". College Admission. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
|This article about a location in West Bengal is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|